1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much money do you spend and on what?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Bobby_Carrot, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I gave a receipt in today at the office for some stuff for a science experiment and the office manager looked at me like I was mad because I was claiming back for things for a science experiment that I had bought at the supermarket. Sometimes I claim this sort of stuff back and sometimes I don't but just recently I have been making a point of doing, especially since the pay freezes have been announced. And in reletively few other industries would people be expected to buy stuff like this and not be reimbursed.
    I also thought about what else I spend. I purchase my own stickers. At my first school they provided them but at the last two schools the policy was ddifferent. At the first school, if you wanted to use them in your classroom you purchased you own and at the second if you wanted to use anything different to the school's generic (and very boring) blue stickers you buy your own.
    I also buy prizes for my weekly table points winners - now whilst I recognise I choose to do this, it does work as an incentive. I also use a 100 square or raffle type system alongside it with prizes out of the same tub. Now granted these are only cheap bits from the pound shop or power ball and party bag stuff from Asda, but the cost can add up over a year.
    I have purchased laminating puches and used them at home too (I was only allowed 100 for the whole year at my last school and once I had run out I was told I had to purchase them myself!)
    What kinds of things do you spend money on? Do you think we should? Do you put receipts in for things? Was I right to put in a receipt for science experiment stuff?

2. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I think once you start paying for stuff yourself it becomes expected. That is when I stopped doing it because I felt like I was being taken advantage of. Every summer I have bought caterpillars for class but this year I asked the office manager to order them instead. I still spend money on class stuff like 2000 beads so I could make all of the kids a beadstring. I also buy bottles of wine for any of the parents who help out with productions etc. I would hate to think how much of my hard earned dosh I have ploughed back into the school over the years.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I claim for some things but not everything. Like you said, I might like to get my own reward type thing and wouldn't dream of claiming for that.
    I would say needing more than 100 laminating pouches is a lot anyway, so I would imagine you should buy any more yourself. I don't understand the need to laminate everything myself.

4. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

If I need to buy things for school, then I always claim the money back. I used to buy my own stickers etc but it was very costly so now I just use the ones provided by school.

5. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Tend not to claim petrol back for 5 quid runs here and there...stupid really..I should do..school wont look after me when Im down to my last buck

6. I claim for everything, refuse to spend my own money on school items.

7. Milgod

That's one I forget about too. I do plenty of away games for football. I imagine they do add up over the year.

I did claim for a 200 mile trip for a tournament this year. I wouldn't forget that one.

8. What's the going rate for mileage nowadays? Is it even worth using the ink to make the claim?

9. Milgod

We get 25p per mile.