1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much marking?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by joy e, Feb 2, 2016.

1. joy e

joy e New commenter

We have been asked to write a comment about pupils work in black ink and write a problem to solve next maths lesson. This is to be done daily for 30 pupils. Obviously there are all the other books too which means around 90 pieces of work daily. Are other schools doing this? I'm wondering if there is a quick way round this ie typing up comments on sticky labels and adding them to books.

2. Mrskeletor

Mrskeletor New commenter

My school does this and I'm sure most others striving to be 'good' do too. It's just what we have to do unfortunately. We do a 'learning ticket' where we have our learning objective, success criteria and a box for next steps. I usually have about 3 differentiated next steps in mind and duplicate them depending on the level of the student. Having said this, in my opinion, next steps are entirely useless as they don't offer any extra education to the child, waste time and, unless massive effort is undertaken, will be ignored.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's nonsense.

Put the daily problem on the board or hand it out on a photocopy.

Learning ticket, lol.

cissy3, wanet and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

All normal.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Normal!!!!

*muesli ends up spattered over keyboard*

wanet likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

DIY Rubber stamp. I found a couple of mine only yesterday in a clear out. One said "ICT HW _ overdue" where _ was a gap for the task number. Very handy for HW diaries - line all the defaulters' diaries up and stamp the incriminating evidence in the lot in 5 seconds flat. The kids hated it.

The other rambled on about being good in the lesson, which I found useful for daily supply work as it meant good kids would get a credit/merit/bingle bongle or whatever when their teacher came back.

If you had a bank of maths problems in advance on the VLE or on a sheet you/they could just write the task number in a gap in the stamp.

wanet, grumpydogwoman and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

Bingle bongle! May I have one, please?

cissy3 likes this.
  8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Work smarter, not harder!

9. grumpydogwoman

Typical cover yer ars$ nonsense.

Nobody believes this is a good use of time. But they do it anyway!

cissy3 likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

"Can you tell me how this helps pupil learning?"
    "Here is a list of tasks I already complete daily. Which would you like me to stop so that I now have time for this?"

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

To which the obvious response is, "How?"

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Consider yourself bingle bongled gdw. Go to the front of the class and nurg another floob on the greebling chart. At this rate you'll have enough floobs for a splod.

(I'm in and out of numerous Primary schools these days and I've lost count of all the strangely-titled reward schemes they have on offer.)

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I used to regularly ask these sorts of questions, and they were never well received!

Apparently it's seen as being negative, and even can mark you out as a 'trouble-maker''.

14. grumpydogwoman

Oooh! When I get a splod I can go to the Headteacher and ask for sustificate!

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We don't have an onerous marking policy where I work. We have to put a Focus Mark Question for every child once a week in each subject. I tend to photocopy the same one for each child, regardless of ability, and stick it in when marking.

After a book trawl, it was pointed out to me that several children were failing to answer their focus questions. I replied that while it was my responsibilty to set those questions, it was the child's responsibilty to answer them. I also suggested that those trawling the books should come into class and ask the children concerned why the questions aren't being answered. That didn't go down too well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I've just been reading this thread on WD about the workload crisis.

https://community.tes.com/threads/time-to-make-a-stand.731821/page-2

This is not much practical help OP, but it just shows how put upon many teachers are feeling, and how it is having considerable effects on retention etc

Edit: I'm out of it now, but it still makes me want to spit when I hear of all this c rap.

Lara mfl 05 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  17. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I've always refused to write individual tasks in children's books when marking - I will only do it for one or two if I think it'll help - but I'd always rather speak to them directly. Doing this every day for every child would take hours of my time, and always seems to me like the sort of distance-learning scheme you'd hear of in the Australian outback in the 1950s... A teacher setting tasks by writing problems into individual exercise books is a moronic idea almost certainly made up by people who don't teach full-time and therefore don't experience the full-time workload and the exhaustion it brings.

18. grumpydogwoman

Post of the Day right there. #17

Thank you @Grandsire

cissy3 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

QUOTE="grumpydogwoman, post: 11575080, member: 172346"]Post of the Day right there. #17

Thank you @Grandsire[/QUOTE]

Agreed gdw! [​IMG]

cissy3 likes this.
  20. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I agree with GDW, and Lara. I particularly liked:

That made me laugh, and is also so true!