1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much is your tea/coffee fund?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tafkam, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

£20 a term.
    Our lovely buyer gets tea bags, coffee and lots of squash. Milk is delivered to school alongside all the kids' milk cartons.
    I think it's a fair enough price - its not compulsory, and a term can be quite a long time.
    We also have a flower fund (£2 a year) for all those flowery occasions - birthdays mainly, sadly a recent familial death.

2. We used to bring our own in but some people would just help themselves whenever they fancied a cuppa!
    Now I have moved departments we pay £5 and someone buys everything - so far I have only paid once (Just before Christmas) and we seem to have plenty of stuff!

3. We pay nothing and we can drink either tea or coffee, but have no biscuits (but we do have a dish washer)
    No and then a colleages 'mum' makes delicious cakes and sends them in and then theres always the birthday cakes/goodies....

Oh and we have a disher washer too.

4. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

We take in our our including milk and biscuits which is just as well as neaver get to the staff room but we have hidden a kettle in the cupboard and keep milk in fridge with the kids.

5. naomi58

naomi58 New commenter

I love this thread!
    £1 a week, by the way.
    Biscuits not included!
    Squirty cream and marshmallows for the hot chocolate - any jobs going at your school?!

6. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Tea, coffee and milk provided by the school.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Can you actually be forced to pay for something you don't use?

8. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

Slightly off topic
    I used to work in a school where there was a 'leaving present' fund. I refused to contribute until I was given an explanation of how the amount allocated for different staff (senority, length of service etc) was explained. As there was never any explantion I never contributed. No one ever tried to force me to contribute.

The school also sometimes had a box for indivduals ( but not for others?) as well to which I would contribute depending on the person (so I wasn't being mean - just fair)

9. mermaid

mermaid New commenter

You ALL bring your own milk? How many fridges do you have??
    We pay £15 per term for tea, coffee and biscuits but we also have the option of having a (usually very nice) school lunch for free so that makes the tea funds seem perfectly reasonable.

10. We pay £1 a week but I get to "only" pay 50p because I use my own tea bags.

11. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Where I used to work it was £6 a short term but I never paid as I don't drink any hot drinks - only squash (which I brought in myself) or water so couldn't see why I should pay for other people's drinks. It wasn;t very popular but tough! At our new place we have no staffroom so everyone sorts their own - either individually or in their teams (we have kettle and tea/coffee etc in our room)

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Do you mean a new building? If so, why is there no staffroom? Please don't tell me it's due to some politically correct notion of inclusiion or something....

13. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We pay £7 per half term and get milk (skimmed or semi skimmed). tea , coffee and sugar. I have at least 4 mugs of tea a day, sometimes more and think it's a fair price. If we have a workshop where refreshements for parents are provided, they use the tea and coffee from the staffroom which I think is rather unfair as I don't think I should have to pay for parent's tea. I think that should come from school fund.I sound like a right moaner now!

14. We pay £1 a week and a couple of the TAs look after the money and do the shopping. This includes: tea, coffee, milk, biscuits, washing up liquid, kitchen roll etc. I don't drink an awful lot of tea, but think this is reasonable (there are always biscuits!!). They also buy things like new tea towels when needed, cutlery etc.

15. In our faculty (science at a secondary school) we each pay 45quid for the year which includes biscuits, milk, tea, coffee, sugar, etc. Obviously if that runs low in the summer term we just top it up accordingly! We have one person who is in charge of purchasing it all!

16. At our school it is £16 a term (i think? or half term?) That covers tea,coffee and milk. Biscuits are only bought in on birthdays.
    There is a lady who comes in and makes the tea at break time. I used to pay but decided to cut back because I decided it would be cheaper to bring my own and it also tastes nicer when i make it (am sure she leaves the cups to soak and the tea always used to taste of fairy liquid [​IMG])

17. School provides tea, coffee, sugar, sweeteners and milk through an arrangement with the school caterers. We also get a free piece of fruit every day. It cuts out petty resentments over such things and encourages collaboration/team-work. It is a simple thing that keeps staff happy, makes us feel valued, and glad to be in a well-run school"

More heads should try it. A simple gesture that gains so much in good-will for staff

18. ooops just seen this primary ... mine's a secondary school, but if we can to it with our large staff

19. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

...and a much larger budget.

20. our tea fund is worked out on an individual basis
    we had to fill in a form saying how many cups of tea/coffee/squash we drank each day
    this was used then to calculate how much milk, coffee, tea you would use per day
    so we all pay an individual amount
    i only drink water, but still have to pay £1 a term to contribute to the water metre & dish washer costs!