1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much is your tea/coffee fund?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tafkam, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Most schools I've worked in have had some sort of fund into which teachers can pay so that milk is delivered to the school, and some kindly soul buys a mass stock of tea and coffee.
    But at the same time, most schools I've been in, the price has been quite high for what is essentially a few tea-bags and a pinta.
    How much does it cost in your school?

2. We buy our own tea/coffee and keep it in our pigeon holes. Then, we pay into a central fund for milk. Teachers pay £5 each and TAs pay £2.50 each. The reason for the disparity is that teachers work full-time and therefore use more milk.
    This fund is used to pay for the milk that is delivered. We get 8 pints on a Monday and the same on a Wednesday. When the fund is getting low, then another collection is made. The milk fund lasts for around a term (11 or 12 weeks or so).
    I think this is a pretty fair method and it doesn't seem unreasonable to pay £5 for a term's worth of milk.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

We pay £1 a week.

4. £1.50 a week pays for tea, milk, coffe, sugar and biscuits. Seems to work, though the biscuits don't last long!

5. TweedJacket

TweedJacket New commenter

£1 a week for tea, coffee and milk (no biscuits) [​IMG]

6. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Nothing! Head buys it all ..

7. aspen_1

aspen_1 New commenter

EVeryone chips in £10 for tea, coffee, squash. The kitty seems to last ages - at least a term.

8. £2 a week includes biscuits

9. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

We pay 10p per cup in advance, most people normally pay a half term at once. School pays for full staff meetings and parents evenings ect.

10. We don't pay for drinks - it comes from the Wellbeing fund. We have a good system for biscuits though. I put up a Biscuit rota for the term and each year group is responsible for providing biscuits for that week. The teachers and TAs all chip in. That way there are biscuits all the time and each year group only has to provide them every 6 weeks. I am the Deputy and I contribute the extras like Choc bars on a Friday and squirty cream and marshmallows for the top of the hot chocolate.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We pay £5 a short term. This includes tea, coffee, milk and sugar, but not biscuits.
    For those who have 4-5 cups a day with milk it is a reasonable amount. For those, like me, who have about 3 cups a week of black tea it is extortionate.
    However it is what it is. Maybe in Sept, when I've been there longer, I will just take my own.

12. £3.00 per term for milk only. We buy our own tea and coffee and sugar. Black tea/coffee drinkers don't pay. Head stocks up on biscuits every now and again.

13. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Hmm... ours is definitely looking more and more expensive. Ours is set at £2.50 a week at the moment, and I can't quite fathom it. I'd have to use 6 pints of milk for my 25 teabags every week. And I just don't like it that milky!

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We pay £2 regardless of what we drink. This covers tea and coffee, herbal tea, milk and sugar, biscuits, which always seem to be Hobnobs. The blanket price seems fair, but if you are one of those skinnies who drinks only herbal and won't even look at a biccy, you might be a bit miffed. I certainly make sure I get my £2 worth.

15. I bring my own thermos flask in. Problem solved.[​IMG]

16. £"0 a term for tea, coffee and milk - no biscuits. If you don't use theirs you still have to make a contribution to the running costs of the dishwasher and the water cooler!!

17. Should say £20!

18. We do £15 per old term (covers milk, tea, coffee) and £7.50 for support staff. As the person who has to buy the tea and coffee, this never covers it. I am always about £30 short per term however do not feel that I can up the price and ask for more. It is amazing just how much it costs. 9 pints of milk a week times by 12 weeks a term is nearly £80 alone. Plus it is a bit of a hassle have to cart litres of milk etc around.

19. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I used to be the 'kind soul' who collected the money, and had the thankless task of always doing my food shopping on a Sunday afternoon so that I could buy the milk (usually 2 4-pinters) and any teabags/coffee needed.
    I got fed up after about a year. There were a couple of reasons:
    1) I asked for £6 per half terms from everyone (seems a lot, but wait...). Tea and coffee drinkers paid the same amount, even though coffee is much more expensive to buy. I once bought the supermarket's own brand coffee, as this was equivalent in price to the amount paid for a box of tea bags. All hell broke loose about that one!
    2) I drink de-caf tea. I buy my own tea bags and jut pay into the fund for milk, because I'm the only de-caffer and they are more expensive. However, when the "Anyone for tea?" shout goes round our little department staff room, certain people always markedly say that they are making a POT of NORMAL tea, and simply won't bother themselves to pour some water on a de-caf teabag for me.
    So sod 'em, they can sort out their own. Now I just keep some tea bags in my locker and make my own each time.

20. Everyone brings their own choice of drink and their own milk.