1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much is too much?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kjm105, May 3, 2012.

1. Is it just me, or is the demand for a significant paper-trail of pupils work throughout the school year gotten a bit excessive of late?
    I've not been teaching that long, but surely when you have colleagues who have been in the profession for over two decades mentioning that they are drowning in the workload, with ever changing goalposts and pressure to meet unrealistic...I mean "challenging" targets, that there must be something fundamentally wrong. Marking, planning, preparation and assessment are all part of the job, I accepted that when I signed up, but I'm seriously starting to consider whether or not the age old statistic of 1/3 of teachers leaving the profession within the first 5 years is in reality, a bit optimistic!
    I love my job, I consider myself someone who works hard, doesn't make ill use of time provided, but I'm still marking in excess of 400 pieces of work weekly and it seems that the majority of it is not for the benefit of the children, but rather as a form of proving that I've been teaching them in the first place! I'm planning and preparing lessons with the aim to meet the children's needs, inspire learning and create a positive, enjoyable atmosphere, but if they aren't annotated, containing completely different activities for each, making use of ICT, but also encouraging children to write by hand or making reference to all resources every day, that I'm likely to be making it up as I go along. Don't get me started on assessment!
    I'm more than open to any suggestions anyone out there has, but moreover, what I'm hoping is -as selfish and as sad as this is to say- that I'm not the only one!

Yours frustratedly

2. Is it just me, or is the demand for a significant paper-trail of pupils work throughout the school year gotten a bit excessive of late?
    I've not been teaching that long, but surely when you have colleagues who have been in the profession for over two decades mentioning that they are drowning in the workload, with ever changing goalposts and pressure to meet unrealistic...I mean "challenging" targets, that there must be something fundamentally wrong. Marking, planning, preparation and assessment are all part of the job, I accepted that when I signed up, but I'm seriously starting to consider whether or not the age old statistic of 1/3 of teachers leaving the profession within the first 5 years is in reality, a bit optimistic!
    I love my job, I consider myself someone who works hard, doesn't make ill use of time provided, but I'm still marking in excess of 400 pieces of work weekly and it seems that the majority of it is not for the benefit of the children, but rather as a form of proving that I've been teaching them in the first place! I'm planning and preparing lessons with the aim to meet the children's needs, inspire learning and create a positive, enjoyable atmosphere, but if they aren't annotated, containing completely different activities for each, making use of ICT, but also encouraging children to write by hand or making reference to all resources every day, that I'm likely to be making it up as I go along. Don't get me started on assessment!
    I'm more than open to any suggestions anyone out there has, but moreover, what I'm hoping is -as selfish and as sad as this is to say- that I'm not the only one!

Yours frustratedly

3. We were only talking about this today. Many of my colleagues are feeling very pressured and stressed. It is getting ridiculous, with more pressure to come in September when Ofsted can just turn up!

4. we we were inspected today and I feel like I have been put through a mangle both physically and emotionally,
    but where can I get a job that will pay me the same without constantly changing the expectations and moving the goal posts?
    constant requests for evidence of impact, I'm so tired I can't say more

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

When you find the answer to this one, let me know! I feel a bit "trapped" sometimes, as for once in my life I earn enough money to live on properly but now I can't return to retail because it would mean a massive drop in salary!
    Fortunately, the happy days keep me going but one day the bad will outweigh the good and then I'll be stuffed!