1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much is enough subject knowledge prior to starting GTP 2011 Religious Education

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by micarla, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Thank you Welsh Wizard for you advice. That has really put my mind at rest a bit. I am really enjoying learning it - and thankfully it all seems to be going in well so far. I will be contacting my training provider in the meantime for a reading list! I had to audit my knowledge at interview stage so I am going to continue to review this!

Thanks again!

2. Buy the relevant exam boards revision guides - that is as much as you need to know - you just have to be one step ahead of the kids!

3. I am nearing the end of my GTP and finished my degree over 20 years ago. I have been a full time mum for the last ten years so I was really worried about my subject knowledge. I wouldn't worry. Make sure you are fully prepared for each lesson and you'll be fine. To be honest in the beginning you will spend so long preparing lessons that you will know the subject more than well enough. I am a Biologist but have to teach Physics and Chemistry at KS3, I failed A level Chem and don't have GCSE Physics but there has been nothing I couldn't answer. The whole teaching process is much more of a challenge than subject knowledge.

My advice before starting a GTP would be to have as much fun as possible because once you start you won't have time for anything else at all.....

4. Hi Kati,

Thank you for getting back to me - I have done that already and been ''swotting'' so to speak. :) I've heard the term being just one page ahead of the kids!!
    Thank you

5. Hi Vburt,

That makes me feel so much more at ease :) the practical teaching part I can handle (at least I think I can handle!) as I'm a trainer at the moment in the welfare to work sector. I am so excited yet so nervous at the prospect of the busy yet exciting year ahead!! I was worried about my GTP training provider presenting me with subject knowledge tests! Have you enjoyed your GTP?

Carla

6. I know you wrote this 9 months ago, but I've just searched the boards and thought I'd say thanks for the info in your post! I'm in exactly the same position you were, and have been really worried about my subject knowledge not being good enough (I start in Sept 2012, but am already working voluntarily with my mentor who is a fiercely intelligent PhD with years of experience!). You've really put my mind at rest, thanks a lot.

7. (That was for VBurt BTW!)