1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much help with Lesson planning whilst at Uni??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jelly belly, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

A big worry of mine is lesson planning. I'm due to start BA Primary Education at BCU in Sept, Foundation/Key stage 1. My question to any current BA students is;

Does a fair proportion of the course concentrate on lesson planning, how to find relevant resources and then deliver it as a lesson?

Have any of you with not such a creative streak found it hard to lesson plan?

Your input would be gratefully received and hopefully put this old mind at rest!

JB. x

2. Hi guys,

A big worry of mine is lesson planning. I'm due to start BA Primary Education at BCU in Sept, Foundation/Key stage 1. My question to any current BA students is;

Does a fair proportion of the course concentrate on lesson planning, how to find relevant resources and then deliver it as a lesson?

Have any of you with not such a creative streak found it hard to lesson plan?

Your input would be gratefully received and hopefully put this old mind at rest!

JB. x

3. I am in my second year of a BA in Primary Education and so far I have done very little lesson planning at university. When I had to plan a lesson for the first time last year, the teacher in school was really helpful and gave me the teachers book to support the planning. This year, it took me nearly a day as there were no available resources to help me, and following the university planning format made it a lot harder, especially as it was for SEN children.

In one of our subjects, we were asked to plan activities, however these were not for realistic lessons that would happen in the classroom - eg. plan a history activity for 6 children for 20 minutes, which would never happen!!

Even if you struggle with creativity, there tends to be teachers books available at university for you to use to help with your planning, but as I said they don't always help you to fill out the entire plan.

The best thing to do is adapt the plan to the one used in school - this makes it a lot easier to plan lessons without having lots of blank boxes as you don't know wot to put in them!!

Best of luck with the planning and especially the course!!

4. Thanks rugby_gal06, i'm not sure if i'm reassured or more worried now!

I really thought there would be more lesson planning being as it is a major part of the teachers role. I have looked at resources posted on here and am collating resource websites by subject area so at least i have something to refer to when the time comes.

I think i need to stop worrying and just go with the flow and hope my creative juices begin to flow when the time comes. It's the only thing i'm scared about - mad isn't it?

JB. X

5. It depends how good your university is. Some prepare you more than others, so you may be lucky!
    It seems on my course that it doesn't matter what the important parts of the teachers role are - if anything we are getting less input on those topics.

The best thing to do it so have a resource file. I started building one last year and it will hopefully prove invaluable when I eventually get to teach on teaching practice, which sadly isn't for nearly two years! Best thing to do is base your information on the QCA schemes of work, as this is what schools will tend to work from, but gives you a rough idea of topics and what is covered.

I wouldn't worry too much about the creative thing, it will come when you learn more about different subjects and you develop your own ideas of how you want to deliver them! Just make sure you write it all down!

6. Thanks rugby_gal06, will take what you've said on board.

Will definitely start building resources for when the time comes.

Thanks again.

JB. X

7. I think it's difficult for universities to give any realistic help with lesson planning because planning for a fake class is such a nonsense anyway. We have frequently done exercises where we have had to plan for a theoretical class of however many children we choose and coincidentally they are all working at the same level and none have SEN or don't speak English, etc. and none of them come along and put you off your lesson plan by having an enormous nosebleed... LOL!

I think it would be helpful if they had taught us more about how to plan to keep everyone busy whilst we help the weakest children in the class because there is a lot of time spent trying to get the ones who can do it if they just try to go away and try, or about how to actually deliver from the plan (harder than it sounds when they make you put too much information in!! It's like giving a speech that you have written out word for word) and how to adapt a plan as you go when you realise the kids have not understood at all the way you expected - there is too much tendency for students on my course to keep going with an unworkable plan because it's been checked, and I think that is what we have picked up from the focus on planning. I think it's easier once you have had your first placement, as then you can always use that real class as a template when you are planning for a theoretical class.

8. Thanks for your input RoseRodent.

I have managed to make contact with a current 1st yr student at my chosen Uni and it would seem worrying about lesson planning is the norm for the majority of her cohort. If that's the case, then i'll stop worrying about it and just go with the flow when i get there.

Are there any books related to primary lesson planning i could have a read of before i start? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks. JB. X

9. Well your advantage as a BEd/BA Ed with QTS would be that you have 3-4 years to perfect the art of planning, while us PGCE students have 9 months! You will find it is your time on placement when your planning really becomes hot; then you might be told you can plan in less detail which is nice! It really isn't that difficult once you get into the swing of things. You pick up ideas for resources and activities both in school and on the course and then you will find stuff in books and on the interweb. You are likely to get 1 or 2 lectures about planning expectations/how to use the framework and will get lots of discrete input about the NCs/QCA. Over your 3-4 year course you will build up such a bank of great ideas and resources.

The trickiest thing I have found is maybe differentiation but I don't even find that massively tricky these days. Maybe planning for your TA can be difficult.

10. Also, I have always struggled with continuing with a plan just for the sake of it. I go into a lesson knowing my plan inside out and knowing the roles of all adults/what my activities and extensions will be, and never refer to the plan! I tend to adapt my aims and plan according to the children and how the lesson is going. They just want to see that you can take account of all aspects in lesson planning; it doesn't matter if you don't follow it verbatim because, actually, a good teacher doesn't do that!

11. Thanks FluffyPinkFairy.

Everyone's comments have been so helpful and encouraging that i'm feeling less apprehensive about that aspect of the course now.

Has anyone used 100 Ideas For Lesson Planning? Any good?

JB. x

12. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Hi BY,
    My most recent placement was Year 1 so I can send you some of my planning for that if you like? I'm afraid I don't know what the PMNS objectives are though if you could enlighten me?
    I would definitely contact your class teacher. I did before my placement with a huge list of questions and she sent be back a lovely long e-mail that made me feel so much better. It's always better to ask than to muddle along yourself! Make sure you use resources online to help you plan such as the fantastic resources available on this website. Good luck!

13. Hey, I'm currently a 3rd year and in a year 1/2 class on placement, what lit/num/topic are you planning and I can send you some stuff or at least give you a few ideas!

14. Oh and have a look at these, don't reinvent the wheel if you don't have to!
    I'm not saying use these ideas straight off, as you've to think carefully about your class, but as a starting point they are great :)

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/
    http://www.topicbox.org.uk/
    http://www.**********.co.uk/

15. I'm a first year BA, and as most have said the uni don't really give you a lot to go on with the planning side of things, so I was absolutely terrified going into my first placement and being told you've got to plan and teach 21 lessons over 4 weeks, but actually it wasn't too bad. My class teacher wasn't the most supportive person in the world, they kind of gave us their plans and told me to use their learning objectives but to use my own ideas, but I was in a paired placement so my friend and I worked together to compile ideas. It actually turned out to be quite fun as we had quite a free reign, although it was taking us around 1hr & 1/2 to do one plan which was insane, but it got a bit quicker towards the end!