1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much help can I give - A2 English lit coursework

Discussion in 'English' started by rhimr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've recently started private tutoring and one of my tutees is just starting work on coursework for A2 English lit (AQA's LITA4 Extended Essay and Shakespeare Study).
    Just to clarify, I have a very good English Lit degree but I'm not a trained teacher. I have however received very good feedback for my tutoring so far, especially in how I helped this particular tutee with exam technique before resits this January.
    I'm finding my way around the AQA site - but would be very grateful if someone could point me towards any advice they give about how much outside help students can receive. Or, any pointers from your own experience would also be great.
    I have so far presumed that I can help with planning, thinking about themes and close study of the texts, but I am unsure whether or not I can look at sections or all of the draft essay.
    I don't want to get the student into trouble or annoy any teachers, but I also want to give as much individually tailored help as I can as I believe that's the advantage of having outside tutoring.
    Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Hi,
    I've recently started private tutoring and one of my tutees is just starting work on coursework for A2 English lit (AQA's LITA4 Extended Essay and Shakespeare Study).
    Just to clarify, I have a very good English Lit degree but I'm not a trained teacher. I have however received very good feedback for my tutoring so far, especially in how I helped this particular tutee with exam technique before resits this January.
    I'm finding my way around the AQA site - but would be very grateful if someone could point me towards any advice they give about how much outside help students can receive. Or, any pointers from your own experience would also be great.
    I have so far presumed that I can help with planning, thinking about themes and close study of the texts, but I am unsure whether or not I can look at sections or all of the draft essay.
    I don't want to get the student into trouble or annoy any teachers, but I also want to give as much individually tailored help as I can as I believe that's the advantage of having outside tutoring.
    Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

I teach this and take the line that my advice is question based,so I point them and then save my detail for one Ao1 (expression etc) response.

Key things to remember
    - the three texts need to be used to create relevant debate for B3 or above
    - needs Ao4 (context) links
    - needs to be Ao2 (language, form, structure) based
    - texts need to be equally represented
    So a typical feedback question would be - How would you prove that? And the alliteration? And why is is/is it not a key idea/them in the 16thC/Othello? is there a more/less modern alternative?

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Do remember that the coursework should be the student's work and the teacher has to sign to say so. I would say, stick to exam preparation to avoid the student being disadvantaged, because that could happen if the teacher signing the work off declares additional help.

5. Sorry about the delayed response - I'm new to the forum and was expecting a notification so hadn't seen the replies! Thank you for the advice above - these are all useful areas to focus on, and it's helpful to think in terms of asking further questions rather than more more critical feedback.

6. Gloria Sunshine - thanks for the warning. I will make sure to focus on exercises which will help with the coursework but would not count as additional help, and move on to exam technique sooner rather than later.