1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how much for supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jubilada, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

I know rates vary, but what is the minimum you could be paid for a day of supply in an English primary school? I ask because changes in the way supply teachers are paid in Scotland means supply teachers now get £78 (gross) for a day's cover. This is a big drop in salary for many supply teachers. How does it compare with rates south of the border?

2. Rates do vary. As an experienced teacher I get £110 to £130 per day depending on the agency. In my experience rates have gradually dropped over the last few years, with agencies saying it is because schools are not willing to pay as much and shopping around more. £78 sounds derisory to me. Would that be for any teacher or would it be for NQTs?

3. £78 is less than a supply teacher would earn fifteen years ago.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The least I've been paid is £10 an hour for CS work (£65 a day), the most is being paid to scale. Agency flat rate for me is £135, but that's pretty generous compared to many, and agencies do vary greatly.

5. The least I have been offered is nothing! Several times, including just recently, I have been contacted, asking whether I would be interested in an NRP (non-remunerative position - I had to ask, too). The idea is, it was explained, that it would enable me to get recent experience and would look good on my CV.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Next they will be calling with the "opportunity" to get recent experience that would look good on a CV for a "modest" fee.

7. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

I get £162 per day as I'm on M6 and I only take LA paid supply teaching.
    I don't get anywhere near as many bookings as I used to get 2 years ago but I refuse to cave in to the pressure to accept Cover Supervisor work at £10 per hour. I'd rather work one day on my teaching rate than 3 days as a CS!
    I sometimes get late calls offering CS work for the day. I refuse and re-state that I'm a teacher. Sometimes I get a call back 5 minutes later offering me the same booking at teacher rates, after they've contacted the school and said that I'm available and can be there in X minutes!

8. elephantfeet

elephantfeet New commenter

This discussion about rate differences in different parts of the country makes me so disillusioned with carrying on supply teaching (which I love doing by the way). I used to get a decent days rate due to my experience of years teaching full time and then choosing to do supply to work around my children's day, but now I feel we are being taken for mugs to work for what we are getting now. Yesterday I worked a full day in a P4 with no work left (the teacher had all her plans at home) very few jotters (again were at home over the weekend being marked) and so prepared all the activities myself bearing in mind the topic the class were covering. The other P4 class teacher said she was very impressed and it wasn't fair that I was not getting recognized in salary for the amount of work I had put in. Must admit the incentive to do over the odds in a class is not really there any more but I always like to do a professional job and couldn't bring myself to do otherwise. By the way, was in the class till 5pm marking - so much for the 30 mins non contact time to do this! And considering the school day is almost 5 hours contact time in all the schools I teach in then it all doesn't add up.

9. You are very lucky to be paid to scale. Many of us are unable to achieve this.

10. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Yes, but sticking to my guns and not accepting CS bookings meant that I earned under £3,500 in the 2010/11 tax year. I earned about £24k in 2007.

11. You did much better than me! In 2010 - 2011 I made £450!

12. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

That is the rate for all teachers regardless of experience, incremental point on scale, for any casual supply of 5 days or less. I have been teaching over 20 years, so it is a massive pay cut for me and many others too.
    It is indeed but this is what is happening in Scotland - we do not have agencies.

13. I agree with everything you say. I have been working this week at paypoint scale 1 when i have over 25 years experience as a teacher. No work was left by class teachers only a plan full of shorthand to follow. I am considering giving up working in schools as i have never felt so disheartened and downgraded in all my teaching career. Scottish schools and local authorities should think shame on themselves for devaluing our skills and our abiliites in a classroom. If only every supply teacher refused to work under these conditions then they might think again, but i do not see that happening as people need to earn money.

14. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

I've always been paid to scale by LEA - I don't work for an agency, just in schools who know me. Like Jubilee I'm on M6 and get £165 per day. But I did ask one of the in house CS last time what they got if they did a day's cover and they told me they got £9 per hour, which equates to £58.50 for the day. I'm not working for a CS pay!

15. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

I have worked in KS2 for over 20 years and joined an agency when relocating two years ago as I was so unfamiliar with the area. Their daily rate was £130 per day, which wasn't bad but I really began to worry about not having my pension contributed to anymore (such as it now is!) So after the first year, having got a feel for the place, I emailed all the desirable schools in my area, offering myself as daily, short term supply and part-time, in an effort to get back into authority pay. It paid off. Several schools got back to me, some with jobshare options which was great news, although I have never rated a jobshare as part-time! As I am on the upper pay scale, it was so good to see that experience was appreciated. Some contacted me later in the year as my email had been saved by them for future reference. My main tack was to offer continuity as a regular supply which had to be of benefit to both school and pupils as well as flexibility and a wealth of knowledge and skill. At the moment, I am in regular employment but with so many schools now using TA cover, I don't know how long it will last. I would certainly recommend contacting schools directly - your local authority should have a comprehensive list of names and addresses on their website - and head your email with something like 'Non Agency Supply Teacher Available' as agencies flood schools with similar emails on a daily basis.

16. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

In Scotland there are no supply teacher agencies, all supply staff must be registered with the LA - even getting on a supply list in the first place can be a bit of a challenge. Schools can only draw on teachers registered on the LA list and all staff are paid at the same rate, regardless of experience. So a teacher with 20 years experience, or even someone who has held a promoted post, would get the same lousy rate as someone just out of probation.

17. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

That's really poor jubilada - why should an experienced teacher get the same pay as a 23 year old? Presumably you work your way up the pay scale with the LEA if you are in a permanent post - so why should all supply teachers get the same rate? Glad I'm not on supply in Scotland!

18. Supply rates with some agencies here are just a flat rate too. Many highly experienced teachers are being paid the same as NQTs with no experience at all.

19. I'm in the NE of England and get £105 flat fee pet day teaching or half for half a day ( I always though afternoons would be less as usually shorter). I can also take TA work at £50 per day but not been offered any yet. We have one LEA list I am joining as they pay to scale but it will be interesting to see how much work they get me.