1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much for KIT days?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pink_elephant1, Mar 9, 2016.

1. pink_elephant1

pink_elephant1 New commenter

I'm on maternity leave at the moment and want to do some KIT days. Does anyone have any idea how much I am likely to get for a day? I am on M6 if that helps.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

May I suggest that you ask this on one of the other forums - Pregnancy for example?

You may get there some response from people who have experienced this.

The NUT guidelines says:

The regulations on keeping-in-touch days are silent on the question of how much an employee should be paid for working so this will be a matter for agreement between you and your employer.

It is important to note that if your employer pays you any extra contractual pay your employer is entitled to off-set it against any SMP paid for that week.

For this reason, should you decide you would like to work for up to 10 days before the end of your maternity leave, you may wish to do so during the unpaid period of maternity leave.

So basically, it is up to the individual school to decide what it will pay you.

Best wishes

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It also depends on whether your school wants you to have them - they have to be agreed between you, and neither side has the right to insist on them.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sorry, yes, I forgot to say that @Piranha - good job you're around!

Best wishes

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The pay for a KIT day should be calculated at 195th of your annual salary. Many schools attempt to calculate it at a 365th, but this is incorrect on the basis that you cannot attend a KIT day on a day you would not otherwise attend school for duty.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Fortunately, some schools take the same view on strikes, even though you can't go on strike on a day you would not otherwise be in school!

It may, I suppose, be open to negotiation, if the teacher is keener than the school.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Interestingly, a schools stance on strikes and how they calculate a days pay for the purpose of ensuring teachers who strike lose it, has, on more than one occasion been the basis on which I've won scuffles over how to pay KIT days...

You see, more often than not a school will merrily calculate a teachers pay for a day in strike circumstances using the 195th of salary.... but then try to calculate a teachers pay for a KIT day as 36th of salary.

Mass muppetry alert.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My school used 365 - we must have been lucky!

9. mi2020

mi2020 New commenter

My school (independent) had paid me for KIT days, but now retrospectively want to claim back (from the ones they have paid me for, and the ones that I have worked, but not yet been paid for) 15/52ths of what they paid me because they say they shouldn't have paid me 'holiday pay'. Am I just naive for not having an agreement in writing of the pay rate? (I presumed it would continue at the same hourly rate that I had been paid for a KIT meeting early in mat leave).

10. pink_elephant1

pink_elephant1 New commenter

I did 3 days which is 0.6 of a week and that's how my school have calculated my pay. I don't get paid for another 2 days so we'll see!