1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much for electricity?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by skt107, May 30, 2012.

1. skt107

skt107 New commenter

My housemate and I live in a 2-bed apartment and feel we may be being charges too much by our electricity company. We were landed with a huge bill a few months ago and since then we have had to put our direct debit up (£120 per month). We have no gas, but this still feels like a lot. They have been out to inspect the meter but claim that there is no fault.
    My friend moves out soon and I need to re-set up the account. I want to make sure that I have my facts straight before I call them!

2. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

That's what I was going to say.
    If the huge bill was added to your direct debit, that could account for the huge monthly increase (along with adjustments to estimated costs for this year which would take the extra usage into account).
    You must have the meter read before your housemate leaves to ensure that the cost of the electricity used until then is split fairly and you don't find yourself paying for more than you should be.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

There are six of us and our water is electrically heated overnight, on the cheaper tariff. We also have an electric oven, but not hob and run two fridges, two freezers, washing machine is on at least once every day and I use the tumble dryer very occasionally.
    We pay 104 euros ( £ 90-ish ) per month for ten months of the year. So around £900 per annum.

4. anotherauntsally

My eldest has more than a few moans about these off-peak meters. The old lady in the flat below has recently had one installed and he's wakened every morning at 3.30 by what sounds like a jet aircraft taking off as her water starts to heat up. It cuts out after a while and then starts up again. The pattern is repeated every so often until it's time to get up and he finds it impossible to get any sleep once it's started.
    The old lady downstairs is a bit deaf and can't hear it but I can't see her being able to do anything about it now it's been installed - changing to something else would cost her more money. I really don't think they are a good idea in flats, unless there is excellent insulation or equipment can be guaranteed to operate quietly.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

In the first year that we had our current house our electric storage heaters landed us with a winter bill of around £1800. So we fitted oil fired central heating. It now costs £600 a year and the house is warm.

6. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Don't know what you mean by ' off-peak meters' ! I live in France, many people have this system: when electricity goes onto low demand, which is 11 pm where I live, the heating for our water system is automatically switched on (EDF, the supplier, sends a signal for it to go on) There is no noise whatsoever. We have a detached house and our neighbours all have the same system. The water heats as it needs to until 7 am, end of cheaper tariff. I can also programme the washing machine to work then, too but don't usually.

7. anotherauntsally

I expect it's the same thing. I just assumed the 'off-peak' rate needed another meter because it's something she has only recently had done - she has always been all-electric.
    It's the noise of the water heating up in the tank that is so annoying - especially as the heater keeps coming on again whenever the water starts to cool down. It can make living in a small flat a bit stressful.

8. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I'm in the tiniest of two bed houses in a village with no gas, so we're all electric. We have storage heaters - which are horrendous things. And we're on Economy 7 - so cheaper electricity between 10pm and midnight and then 2am and 8am. The water heating up in the tank makes a noise - although not one that's likely to wake you up (baby sleeps through it and her room's next to the boiler). The washing machine goes on at 4.30am when Mr Para gets up for work to take advantage of the cheap rate.
    Our bills are £80ish a month - bearing in mind I'm using the washing machine most days thanks to baby!

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm on Economy 7 - and find it very reasonable!
    I pretty much sleep through the 3am boiler noise. I can't use the washing machine off-peak as it would disturb my upstairs neighbour (and I doubt I'd sleep through it either!). I always have plenty of hot water, and the flat is toasty warm.....but I live in a small flat and alone - I can imagine it might be less economical for a larger family (especially if you had to 'boost' the hot water daily)

10. First of all you will need to know what tariff you are on as some are very expensive. You may or may not be able to change without a fee being charged. Then it depends on how you are heating your flat and your hot water - if your flat is not well insulated/ draughty/high ceilings etc. plus if you have a storage tank for hot water is it heated overnight on economy 7 and is it well lagged? Electric fires and radiators just eat money (well not in the last week!) so use a thermometer to check room temperatures.
    Also you can do the simple things like switching appliances off and not leaving them on standby/ low energy bulbs/ timing showers/not overfilling kettles etc.
    If you have access to the meter then take readings every week and keep a diary if you can of how and when you use electricity. You should be able to get the cost per unit from the energy company website for the tariff you are on so you can calculate how much each week costs you. It's fairly easy to set up a spreadsheet to do this.
    As a comparison my 4 bed detached house (well insulated) using dual fuel costs me £93 a month - and I'll get a rebate on that of about £100 at the end of the year.
    Finallly sign up to www.imeasure.org.uk and keep a check on your spending and compare it to similar users - it's a very useful site.

11. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I pay arounf 60is a month in a large Victorian house with 3 of us but we do have gas heating a water. I think my neighbours must have that economy electric thing as I am woken several times a wek by their washing machine going at 1.30 am. Very annoying and anti-social.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

ask them how much they save by using overnight electricity and if you think it worthwhile cough up for the difference.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Although its a pain it could be that they work shifts. OH works shifts and before we lived together he often had to do his washing at 'odd times' because that was when he was up and around. He feels the same about people being noisy during the day when he is trying to sleep.... These things sometimes can't be helped.

14. http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/blog/post/2010/08/06/How-to-calculate-your-washing-machine-running-costs.aspx
    There you go - at offpeak electricity they are saving possibly 12p per wash. Say 3 washes per week over 50 weeks =36p * 50 = £18.00
    Worth it for some good shuteye I would say!
    Dekka - helpful as ever.

15. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Ha ha very helpful thanks - will bear it in mind. Now what do i do about the same neighbour who also likes to hammer and saw stuff at 7am!

16. I have only lpg gas that runs the heating.
    We cook on electric and that is horrendous.
    Mum, Dad & 1 kid - £90 quid a month. 3 bed semi - hope that helps.
    Have you thought of getting one of those monitors? I got one for free from my electric company - it certainly made me go round turning stuff off!!

17. skt107

skt107 New commenter

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of helpful responses, thank you so much! The heaters are electric as is the boiler. It still seems like an awful lot though. I love the idea of asking them to send a monitor though, i had no idea that they did them! They've Inspected the meter and claim there is no fault. But it's a small two-bedroomed apartment which is rarely used during the day. I don't want to make a fuss if I could be completely wrong though.

18. neli

neli Occasional commenter

Electric heaters burn money, could you get a calor gas fire instead?

19. neli

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CALOR-GAS-FREE-STANDING-FIRE-HEATER-PREMIERE-/270984184365?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item3f17ea822d

20. neli

Just looked and there are some on ebay x