1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much experience is needed to apply for a head of department job in music?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by noemie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

And apply! If they don't like the sound of you they won't respond. I applied for a Second in department post after two years of teaching and never heard back from them. I applied for a Head of department job after four years of teaching, thinking it was way out of my league, and got it and am perfectly fitted for it. You could also offer to shadow your current HOD and see what is involved - even if you do decide to wait for a bit longer it will give you some excellent pointers for your application.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Good advice given here. I applied for an internal position (although it was a 0.6 as there was somebody doing the job 0.4) in my first year, to start in September and got it! I am in my fith year of teaching and am Head of Year in a different school now.

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

A lot will depend on the size of the department e.g. music would be a lot smaller than maths: some of my friends went straight into HoD jobs in music from their PGCE but as the only teacher in the department. Otherwise to 2-3 years in a school should prepare you for a first promotion but ask your colleagues if they feel you have the apporpriate skills to be successful

4. You want to be a music director? Go for it. Music directors typically need at least a bachelor degree in music,
    music theory, music composition, or other related field. Prospective music directors typically complete
    courses in music theory, music interpretation, conducting, performance,
    and management. Also you are required to complete regular continuing education to keep your
    skills up to date, broaden your knowledge, and stay abreast with
    advancements in the field of music. Best of luck.