1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much 'evidence'?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Skippy22, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes it was sent to all LAs most of whom promptly ignored it.

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

That's terrible. I wouldn't have ignored it when I worked in an LA.

3. We don't 'do it' and we believe that we know our children pretty well. We have tried 'doing it' and found it to be time-wasting, and we decided that we were just doing it to tick a box. We didn't feel that it improved our understanding of the children at all. Now we have time to talk to them since we are not spending hours writing observations and almost trying to engineer photo opportunities. We use simple assessment sheets ( those dreaded tick lists) whilst engaged in activities which will inform future planning where appropriate. Photos are taken when something fabulous happens, not for the sake of trying to prove a point but to be put into an album which is kept in the nursery for the staff and children to look through and talk about. Obviously parents can look through it too, and share those special moments.
    But as managers, we are getting on a little and we feel that we have enough experience and confidence in what we do to justify our actions to 'the experts.' Our children are happy and making lovely progress, developing into confident, independent little people, and the parents are happy too. What more can you want?

4. What do your assessment sheets look like? I'm currently trying to adapt mine and would love to see a different example if you don't mind :)

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

But surely this is a broad correlation and not one that necessarily links with every minute point on the EYFS profile.
    Parents are being made to worry about tiny variations at three, when common sense tells us that development varies and the EP is not an exact science.
    To be honest, I've rarely been wrong when predicting high-flyers in nursery. But I have never relied on scores to help me - experience is what has counted. And I've never solely applied this to core subjects. If I felt that a child had an aptitude for maths, I would tell the parents why, without recourse to scale points.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

To reassure mystery10, this would NOT result in ability grouping and there WOULD be evidence to back up my judgment. Some of that evidence would be stored in my memory. You'd be surprised how thrilling and memorable a specially advanced example of intellectual precocity can be.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

But I'll be damned if I'll go along with the tracking stuff that takes no account of child development, family circumstances, the intellectual equivalent of growth spurts or the appearance of dyslexia or any of the other things that can reduce these tracking schemes to rubbble.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

It wasn't us that ignored it. EAs had their own agendas that justified DOING EXTRA.

Mystery, are you getting the picture?

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry for the gruesome grammar.

10. Loving this thread! [​IMG]
    We've never gone the route of masses of observations and photos etc - as a manager of 3 curriculum areas (plus EYFS), leader of two after-school clubs, and having a mixed-age class, there simply isn't enough time in the day. I spend a lot of time planning, assessing and managing other things to do with school, and I refuse to spend even more time printing, cutting and sticking photos into a book, which will probably be stuffed into a drawer by 90% of parents.
    I'd be very interested in looking at the aforementioned ticksheets, as I still haven't found a system I'm completely happy with.
    Thanks in advance if you're happy to share.
    hollyv71@hotmail.co.uk

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Inky, have no fear, I can tell you would do it a sensible way ........ but my children don't attend your school do they? [​IMG] So your reassurances don't reassure me on behalf of my children or others I've seen go through the system so far round here.
    You talked about EAs in an earlier post wanting to justify extra work. Is an EA an early years advisor? Aren't they losing their jobs and stranglehold in the current budget cuts like many other advisors? And surely there are some excellent ones, and some bad ones? (Like in any other profession)