1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much does your 1 year old weigh?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Fleur ;-), Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hi, my LO is 9 months, he was 23lb when i last had him weighed 6 weeks ago. I don't think you should worry - how rude of the hv to say that! It sounds like he has agreat diet [​IMG]

2. 30lb! And he was 20lb at just 16 weeks... People used to say that sort of thing to me all the time, assuming I was worried about it! Drove me mad. He has lost a lot of the chubiness now he's walking, but I wouldn't have been worried anyway as he is healthy and happy. [​IMG]

3. P.S. My little fella is still on four bottles and three meals a day. Loves his grub. Try not to worry.

4. Thanks, that has made me feel better, I wasn't worried before I went, but you know when people say things sometimes it gets you thinking.

5. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I can't remember how much my LO weighed at a year, but at 33 months she now weighs 25lbs - they do tend to drop quite a bit of weight when they get more mobile, but that was quite a rude thing for her to say!

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

ooh I love a squidgy baby, me! Those chubby wee thighs. Love 'em!
    Babies shouldn't be skinny. They're even cuter when padded out a bit!

7. Mine was weighed last week just before birthday and is 21lb 3oz but really tall so looks like a skinny beanpole! HV was horrible to me as he has lost a few oz since last weighed at 9 months and says it has to be monitored. Felt accused of starving him. She even suggested that I was feeding him too healthily! He eats everything and anything but I struggle to keep my weight up as well so possibly genetic. He's not walking yet and dreading it in case he loses even more. Still wears size 3 nappies and I buy 6-9 month turn up trousers and then unpick them! On the plus side I've had my money's worth out of the first car seat as still fits fine, his height must be all leg. Also the bumbo and tray are still used for snacks and possibly will be for many more months.
    I love to see babies with chubby thighs it's cute. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for them to appear!

8. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son was 26lbs 9 i think just after his first birthday, and was following the 98th centile for both height and weight. The HV didn't say anything. He's 20 months now and is pretty slim since he doesn't stop moving! He walked 2 weeks after his first birthday and pretty much hasn't stopped since! He is in a lot of age 2-3 stuff, but the trousers are too big for his waist generally. He's about 3 foot tall.

9. 7 months next week, he was weighed a fortnight ago and was 23lbs. 99.6 % for weight and 98 for height. Wears 9-12 stuff now. Just a big baby. Loves food. And milk. Has very chubby forearms, but aside from that I don;t htink he looks excessively chubby.

10. I haven't had LO weighed since she was about 11 months and was 21 lb something then. Hoping to weigh her tomorrow although she is now 13 months so will I be able to at baby clinic?
    Anyway, my comment to this thread is that even in only 9 replies you see just how varied babies' sizes are- they are little people after all and everyone is different! Don't worry, your little one doesn't sound humongous to me but so what if he was anyway, especially at this age, if he's eating the right stuff you have nothing to worry about. I must admit that far from looking forward to LO's 1 year check tomorrow, I'm dreading it, because of how unhelpful and judgemental HVs are. How bad is that?!

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Unfortunately clematis, some midwives and HVs see their jobs as some kind of power trip. Sad but true!
    The main thing is that everyone's babies are healthy. So what, if all of different shapes and sizes ... no two babies are the same and not just physically, it takes some longer than others to talk etc. ... but we all catch up in the end! You all sound like great mums, just doing the best you can for your babies and going with your own instinct.
    Bleh! if the <strike>professionals</strike> anyone else has anything to say!

12. My LO was 20lb something at 12 months. My 1st was bigger, can't remember what she weighed, but just basically wanted to say it isn't a reflection on how healthily they eat. My daughter was BF and ate healthy home cooked meals, lots of fruit, only drank milk or water etc and she was a right little chunk! She looked so chubby in her lovely summer dresses but since about 2 1/2 she has slimmed right down and now at 6 she is a little beanpole and a perfectly healthy weight according to the letter we got when she was weighed in reception.
    I always used to worry that people would think I fed her junk as a toddler!

13. My LO is 1 on Saturday and he has weighed in today (at his 8 month check up..... that's how professional it is) at 21lb 7oz and he has been walking round since 9.5 months.
    My health visitor didn't bat an eyelid.
    I tend to think, do they look healthy, are they alert, do they eat well..... if they do then they are fine!

14. Ladies my LO's 1 year check today was lovely- the HV was so sweet so I take back what I said about them- some are good!! She was very supportive even down to the fact that (shock horror) LO still has her milk from a bottle ;-) Anyway- she weighed in at juust over 23 lb if anyone is interested! Still jsut over the 75th.

15. Pah! Mine is walking and also a girl who are meant to be lighter than boys!! Your HV was talking piffle ;-)

16. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oops, my 19 month old still has her milk in a bottle. Would that be frowned upon then? It would be more than my life is worth to take that away from tartette!

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

So does my 20 month old. He only has a couple of bottles a day. We got criticised at the year check as he wasn't eating enough and the HV wanted to refer us to someone. He still doesn't eat much, but he's fine, and I don't really see the point in forcing him to eat. Somehow he's managed to grow nice and tall!

18. My LO is 16 months and was weighed yesterday and is a stonking..........18lbs!!!! :)
    Yep a tiny delicate little thing.....she's still on the same percentile so HV and we are not bothered
    Conversely I know a baby that was 24lbs at 12 months
    Every baby is different