1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much does success (or otherwise) in supply teaching reflect my abilities and chances of further work?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ironic lettuce, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm currently living in Australia at the moment and have just accepted a 2 week relief contract for a school in Melbourne. This will be my first experience of supply teaching (I have 2 years experience of full time teaching from the UK) and my one big worry is how it's going to look if things go badly.
    The reason I ask is because the school I'm going to is pretty rough according to the supply agency (there was a police lockdown there last year when a brawl between 4 girls started in the yard and someone brought a knife into the school). I'm going to use all the (admittedly limited) experience I have to try and keep the students under control but with all the will in the world there are still some who will no doubt just play up every time, or even get violent.
    If the worst case scenario happens and I just can't control them over the 2 weeks and it turns out to be a huge mess, would this reflect really badly on me and affect my chances of getting work in the future?
    Cheers

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Worst scenario;you don't get a good reference and you lose your confidence.
    HOWEVER best scenario: those were isolated events and your experience stands you in good stead and you do a good job!
    You must go in confident (even if you don't <u>feel</u> that way), children seem to have an extra sense for under-confidence. Bit like an actress, put on the 'face',believe in your ability to teach. The unknown is always worse. After meeting the children you'll probably feel better.

3. what area of oz? if in a city which suburb?

good luck!