1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do yr 5 know about mulitplication and division?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pottyparrot, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I am trying to plan a lesson on the primary strategy objective "Know by heart all multiplication facts up to 10x10<a target="_blank">[/URL], including multiplication by 0 and 1. Derive quickly the corresponding division facts. Understand the vocabulary of multiple, factor and square number" for an interview, but i'm not sure how much year 5 know, whether this lesson should be about teaching them how they can work out the division facts etc or just practice. At my last placement the children were good with timestables, but would have needed support with division.

Can anyone help...i really really want this job!

2. I don't think there's going to be any one answer to your question!
    Some of my year 5s can quickly really recall all the multiplication facts, and derive related division facts. Some can derive the x facts using a variety of methods, and therefore slowly work out the related division. Some can't do either reliably.
    If you've been given the objective by the school, why not do something with factors rather than a times table lesson? There's a really good Teacher's TV vidoe on "factor bugs" where you could get in loads of differentiation:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Teachers-TV-Primary-Maths-Numbers-6038950/

3. I was going to say the same as Elizabeth. Some of my year 5s can confidently multiply and divide by decimals, 2 and 3 digit numbers, whilst others are only just becoming confident with the basics of multiplying and dividing up to 12x12.
    I'd say that whatever you do have the option of making tasks simpler or more complex easily to allow on the spot differentiation. So for example, if they did an activity rolling dice and multiplying they could have 2 or 3 dice and they could be 1-6, 0-9, 1-12 etc. They could roll two 0-9 dice and put a decimal point in the middle then multiply by a one or two digit number. The children could then choose to move on when they've 'got' the simpler stuff, or you can provide instant challenge if they announce 3 mins in that they've 'done it'.
    This probably isn't the best example of an interview lesson but I hope it give you an idea of the sort of thing I'm on about! Good luck :)

4. Will I not get picked up on not doing all of the objectives if I do factor bugs?

5. No - that's not an objective for a single lesson - it's a list of things to be covered across the year.