1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you/supply teachers get paid when working through agencies?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by laura_wolf, Jun 11, 2010.

1. I have read the NUT guidance on supply teacher's pay and I know that only schools and LEAs are bound to paying certain amounts based on pay scales, but...

If I had stayed in a permanent position I would have been on M3 this year but I am paid less than someone on M1! I didn't really mind earning less when I was doing less, but now I'm in a long-term position I am doing everything a regular teacher does, but for less money and I am getting pretty de-moralized.

When I have spoken to family, friends, and colleagues they all seem to have this idea that supply teachers get a lot of money each day - most people seem to think about £160+. This lead to me think that I was being taken advantage of by my agency but they insist that I am getting a good rate and that it doesn't really depend on experience/how good I am.

I have a really good relationship with the people at the agency and I don't want to damage this by pushing too hard, but are they taking the mick?

2. I have read the NUT guidance on supply teacher's pay and I know that only schools and LEAs are bound to paying certain amounts based on pay scales, but...

If I had stayed in a permanent position I would have been on M3 this year but I am paid less than someone on M1! I didn't really mind earning less when I was doing less, but now I'm in a long-term position I am doing everything a regular teacher does, but for less money and I am getting pretty de-moralized.

When I have spoken to family, friends, and colleagues they all seem to have this idea that supply teachers get a lot of money each day - most people seem to think about £160+. This lead to me think that I was being taken advantage of by my agency but they insist that I am getting a good rate and that it doesn't really depend on experience/how good I am.

I have a really good relationship with the people at the agency and I don't want to damage this by pushing too hard, but are they taking the mick?

3. I am on £115 a day, not sure what that is in line with but when I left my last job in March I was on MS2

4. 160 per day, your friends and colleagues are being sucked into propaganda.
    However your friends and colleagues perhaps have never worked as an agency supply teacher recently.
    Your pay depends on how good you are at negotiating. Taking big risks by saying NO sometimes to bad agencies.
    on M3 I would expect min 115 per day (not London)
    However whatever your rate, a good agency is a good agency, If they are paying less than 100 for full on regular teaching, the agency is making, the school is getting you on the cheap,the only one not making is you.
    Tough game with no terms and conditions nowadays, hotshot CS's on our tail.
    pretty, hard, tough, and mean, poor negotiators will be trodden on.

5. gud4age

gud4age New commenter

negotiated £120 previous mps2

6. 2 years ago I got £155+small amount of travel. Much less than I should have been on in my last school as a classroom teacher I was on UPS 2
    Marymoo

7. Thanks guys, it seems so far that most of you (assuming you are out of London) are getting paid pretty well and in line with what it says in the STPCD. (Info about this here: http://www.teachers.org.uk/node/10525)... Anyone have any specific experience of London pay? I have been offered about £15 less per day that what I would be on if working through an LEA/employed directly by a school. Should I take it?

8. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

£125 per day

9. No supply agency pays £165. Its generally between £100 - £150
    If you charge too much you price yourself out of the market.
    R x

10. Hi Laura
    Play one agency off against the other they won't know and they will negotiate. The agency decide your fee there is no set in stone scale.
    x

11. I get £95 or £98 a day depending on agency - £50 for a half day. I'm an NQT.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am an experienced teacher (M6) - 1 agency pays £100 and another pays £135. Guess which agency gets me the most work.
    Supply and demand - lowest price wins. You may think you're worth £130 - £140 but a nice new NQT will do the job for cheaper. They will get the work.

13. I get £110 a day as NQT in the Midlands.

14. I'm an NQT in the Midlands also and I get £105 per day from one agency and £100 from the other.

15. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

No it isn't. The agency is making a fortune. Agencies charge the school the same daily rate for everyone.
    I get paid to scale with my agency.

16. The agency mark up is the same. The demand for cheaper staff comes from secondary schools who have realised that you only need a CRBed body in front of a class. The agency gets the same amount. The school pays less.

17. pooped

pooped New commenter

Feeling slightly cheated. I have just begun supply and get £125 and I'm on UPS2. However, I did a couple of days for the school I worked part time at and got £175!!!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im in london m6 and lots of experienece......and my agency wil only offer 110 a day.They clain they have had to scale back wages as schools are demanding cheaper cost to them.

19. I have just registered with Protocol, Smart Teachers and Tradewind in London who all say they will offer £130 a day. I was wondering if someone may be able to tell me roughly how much you have to pay in taxes per month if you were in a long term supply position. Would it be around £500 a month? I am worried about how to pay the bills/ rent during school holidays.

20. I think tax would be around £480, you'd have NI to deduct on top of that as well. You may just be taxed at Basic Rate (which doesn't take into acount your personal allowance) so you may be entitled to a rebate if this is the case.