1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by missRV, Feb 24, 2017.

1. missRV

missRV Occasional commenter

I have worked out that a large %of my wage last year went on school (although I have stopped this)

2 years ago for example:

£2000 ish for dofe equipment
    £12 a month for 12 months on headphones
    £10 a month for felt tip pens, pencils etc...
    £10 a month for one off lesson resources (such as easter egg moulds and chocolate for Spanish easter eggs)
    £30 ish for gifts for the kids (Christmas etc...) I am the only teacher who doesn't do birthday gifts

This year, I made a vow to not spend any more of my money on school..... Other than tes fees for one off lessons I've kept to that promise.

Am I letting the kids down?

2. bobtes

bobtes New commenter

I buy my own pens to mark with as I don't like biros. Costs me about £12 a year.
    Hmm...think that's it.
    Am I letting the kids down? Hmmmm..........

les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

£2000 for what ?

joLT, Landofla, peggylu and 1 other person like this.
  4. arianasarah866

arianasarah866 New commenter

I try not to because much like you I figured out I was spending far too much of my own money on basic resources, however when the school runs out of budget and you have no glue to stick in objectives that have to be in the books, or no A4 paper or no laminating pockets I do end up buying them for my own class.

And then there are resources to make lessons 'outstanding' in under resources schools, hands on objects and the like to use in lessons when you are told you need to use things like that to be outstanding but school doesn't provide them.

Then classroom decor stuff to make your classroom look nice (cushions for book corner, pots for pencils on desks etc etc). Not to mention when you end up cooking or doing DT projects and end up resourcing them because otherwise you can't teach the curriculum. Or copies of books needed for English lessons that we don't have.

Not sure what other paid job you end up resourcing yourself, my other half goes crazy at me buying things for work!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My biggest school expense is petrol to get to and from work.

I've stopped buying stationary for the kids now because so much of it was stolen. I keep a very few old pens and pencils and that's about it.

The end point came when I bought 20 pens (for about a quid) - at breaktime on the same day I put them in my box some theiving sod came into my room at break while I was grabbing a quick coffee and took the lot. Just prior to that I had a box of rulers stolen and thrown all over the school grounds.

So I stopped.

les25paul, Landofla, peggylu and 3 others like this.
  6. missRV

£2000 on tents, sleeping bags, trangias, waterproofs, rucksacks etc.....

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You've got to be kidding - what on earth did you do that for.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I buy odd things that are just easier to sort myself than to put in an order (chocolate for chocolate tasting, that kind of thing).
    I buy some books (novels etc) for a club I run...which are therefore 'mine' and will come with me when I leave.
    Think that's about it.

If you've bought it yourself, then take it with you when you go.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

£2000 on camping equipment for school - that's the maddest thing I've ever heard.

joLT, nomad, jlishman2158 and 8 others like this.
  10. missRV

I know..... School tricked me into doing it. First saying there was a budget then the there wasn't when the dht left.

Its my equipment though and I will certainly be keeping it for the next school. Hopefully they'll appreciate it more :)

bevdex, FrankWolley and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. MrMedia

MrMedia Senior commenter

I think it was for her own usage. Proper camping and walking gear isnae cheap. D of E is voluntary stuff. Bit like being a scout leader. I don't think you can count this as teaching unless the school takes all the credit for it or expects it

12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

No, you're letting yourself down.

Stop it, in fact everyone stop buying stuff....you are complicit in covering up the underfunding of education.

I used to do the odd bit of printing at home because I didn't want to queue at the photocopier on Monday morning but that was about it.

jlishman2158, peggylu, wanet and 4 others like this.
  13. fairypenny

fairypenny New commenter

I buy things for my room, like a little base of 3 fake flowers that I keep on my desk. I buy stickers and pens, but I don't buy stationery for the children.

pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

No teacher should be spending a single penny of their own money on resources or materials for school. Teachers are paid to deliver free state education to their pupils. Materials necessary for them to do this must be provided by the school. Come on teachers! Are you mad? This money is yours. You have worked for it and you have earned it. Don't give it back.

15. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

My thoughts exactly. Last half term, I intended to do some cooking with the children (Y2) but was told by the bursar that I would have to buy the ingredients myself and would not be reimbursed. The lesson didn't get taught.

16. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I think it is ridiculous that the school are expecting staff to pay for resources to enable them to teach. There should be a set budget for each year group/ key stage if primary and department if secondary.
    Why work to put the money back into the school? Can understand your commitment to delivering a good lesson, but this isn't your responsibility.

I know of one former teacher who had sight impairment who required a laptop with illuminated keyboard. The cost of this was £1000 and it was a struggle to get reimbursed even though the school business manager and the Headteacher had approved this..

You are paid a salary in reward for the work you do, this money is for yourself, not school!

jlishman2158, pepper5 and petaloutha like this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My staff know that they will be reimbursed for any expenditure ( apart from camping equipment). They have a class budget of £50 and can use that for incidentals. Anything else comes out of the budget.

You were certainly conned over the camping equipment. Any expenditure that large should have gone through the school so that the VAT could be claimed back.

For accounting and audit purposes I would not let staff spend large amounts and then reimburse them.

jlishman2158 and theworm123 like this.
  18. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I've bought books. Academic works related to history. But then again I take an intense academic interest in my subject at A Level and I'll happily read and re-read a history of the Battle of Shanghai in a holiday. I'll be taking them with me when I leave.

Apart from that, about a dozen pounds on fountain pen ink because I hate marking in biro.

We have a department budget for things like pens and stationery. Wouldn't dream of spending my own money.

19. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I would NEVER do this. They won't provide glue? The objectives wouldn't be stuck in. No laminating pouches? No laminating is done. No DT resources? Kids don't get taught DT.

I would email requesting these resources,and if told there's no money, I'd be telling SLT how things will be done instead. E.g., "as you have said there's no money for year 3 to do any cooking, the food technology curriculum will not be taught. Pleas confirm this is what you want to happen." Or, "as there is no glue to stick objectives in, the children will write them instead. If this is not acceptable, please advise me as to what you would like to happen instead." They are extremely unlikely to reply in writing that you are required to pay for these things yourself. They will either have to agree your alternative method, or find a way to buy the resources.

20. SCAW12

SCAW12 New commenter

I like to buy stationery for myself only e.g. pencil case, pencils, pens. Nice stationery that I do not lend out. Makes my day happier if I have lovely stationery...that I lock away!