1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you spend on food?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Mar 19, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

£200 in the supermarket once a month - includes storecupboard stuff, toiletries, cleaning and washing products, booze and whatever else OH puts in the trolley without my knowledge
    £150 in a farm shop about once every three months for the majority of our meat
    Like Nick, I go to the fishmonger about once a fortnight and I spend maybe £15-£20 there.
    I go to the Egyptian supermarket most weeks and spend about £15 there.
    Fruit and veg/dairy as I need it - £20 a week? Sometimes less, sometimes more.
    It comes to probably close to £400 a month but food isn't just something I eat - its my hobby as well.

2. ah...my € 150 is only for food. That budget is quite low as I tend to buy many storecupboard things in bulk, as nick does. I also do not buy much meat at all and I don't have an alcohol budget! I just buy that as and when I fancy it - I don't normally have it "on store" in the house (so if you just pop in unannounced, don't expect a glass of wine!). I also don't buy biccies, cakes, sweets, etc.
    I hadn't included toiletries or household products - although I buy those in bulk at discount stores.
    So I reckon another 50 to 70 € on top.

3. My budget is for three, btw.
    During holidays, my budget will either go up or down - depending on whether the kids are with me or with their Dad. Reason being, when we are not at school or work, we tend to have cooking and eating feasts!

4. egyptgirl

When Mr EG is away on tour, my budget obviously goes down too. (Although the same amount of money is spent because he cannot go into a motorway service station without buying anything - apparently, its "disrespectful".)

5. Bless!

6. egyptgirl

Haha! Bless indeed!
    I always dread the bill for the credit card he takes when he's on tour arriving.
    And the stuff he brings back!

7. Thanks to Student Loan totally messing up, we've been on a serious food budget for the last two months. Veg box £25-£40 a week, but that does include meat, fish, store cupboard stuff, eggs and washing powder. Like most I batch cook and freeze, so mid week meals are easily sorted.

On top of the veg delivery, the supermarket shop for bulk stuff, milk, baking stuff (when it isnt Lent!) bread and fruit top-ups comes to another £20/£30 a week.

Writing this down makes me realise just how much I do spend! Far too much just for two of us...

8. egyptgirl

It does actually make you confront it when you write it down, doesn't it?

9. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

We spend far less than we used to. We do this by eating much more veggie meals than we used to (I used to eat regular veggie meals when living on my own, but my wife has always been of the "no meat, no meal" persuasion, and I've had to work hard to persuade her that a meal can be complete in istelf with no meat or fish!), and also by eating the cheaper cuts, most of the time.
    My wife used to be very poor at planning meals, before we moved in, and used to shop on an almost daily basis, according to what she fancied for dinner. The outcome of this was lots of wasted food, as anything unused was thrown away. She also followed use by dates to the letter. I've since, again, managed to convince her of the benefits of planning ahead, so that leftovers or unused ingredients get used up, and to trust her senses than use by dates.
    I'm aware that all of this "persuading" and "convincing" makes me sound like a bossy control freak, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I thought we were wasting food unnecessarily!I'd say through eating less meat, planning properly, and eating cheaper cuts of meat, we've probably halved our food budget.

10. egyptgirl

This is very much the battle I face with Mr EG. He grew up with meat every day - rarely any fish.
    I know I've said this before but when I lived in Egypt with Mum, we ate a practically vegan diet.
    I'm slowly getting there - he'll eat a veggie meal one day but HAS to have meat the next or he thinks he's being malnourished.
    And he'll eat fish every once in a while without rolling his eyes at me (like he used to).

11. This is the battle I face too - Mr W will eat veggie one day, but then has to have meat the next otherwise he "feels under the weather". I have however managed to wean him off mcdonalds breakfasts this Lent!

12. egyptgirl

Any idea how I wean Mr EG off his Big Macs? Anyone???

13. We're experimenting with fish once a week- which is a major achievement. We are having chickpea burgers tonight - I don't think our veggie meal will go down very well! I wish we could eat more veggie food, but Mr. Moo sounds like the rest of your men!

14. I merely said he had to give up something this Lent; suggested coffee, ducked and ran from room quickly. His compromise was McD's breakfasts...

Perhaps similar tactic may work - suggest something he loves, and agree on Big Macs as a compromise?

[​IMG]

15. egyptgirl

He always strops when I cook Egyptian food. He currently has his iPod on full blast with his shoulders hunched up with his "sulky" face in the front room. He is cute when he's like that though.

16. When people get a stomach upset after eating them, its because the burgers contain bovine excrement.

17. McD has more stringent standards than any supermarket. They are VERY particular.
    As an aside - your so called healthy Subway sarnie (even the veggie ones) contains more salt, fat and calories than an average McD menu.
    Just for info.
    No, I don't work for McD.
    But I know who sells what.

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

I didn't think people who cared about food ate such rubbish??!!!!?????

19. I hope not! (we have a McD at the airport when flying to the UK - that is the only time we normally have fast food that is not made at home!)
    I found a link once that compared the contents of a Subway sarnie with the contents of a McD menu with the contents of "alternatives" (i.e. non-fast food). I can't find it now but it should have been plastered on every lamppost across the world!

20. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Two suggestions:
    1. Get him to watch 'Supersize Me'
    2. Make him a home made burger with real meat, fresh salad and a decent toasted roll. McDs is not at all tasty.
    I would say he should go to Hardees instead, when I am in Egypt I get a mushroom swiss every other day, the driver even asked if I wanted to go straight to Hardees at 6am on the way from the airport the other year.