1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay for wine and where do you buy it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 10, 2017.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

No not just for wine. Different departments like toys too. Only on for about a week. Go to the counter area where you return goods etc. Exchange blocks of £10 of nectar points for a voucher that doubles their value. So a wine voucher has to be spent on own brand wine, Taste the Difference. So £40 of wine for £20. You can pre buy the voucher before the time you spend it but only short lived offer.

where from?

frangipani123 and zizzyballoon like this.
  2. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Tesco...bought as part of the 25% off 6 deal, so actually worked out at less than that.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

There is always home brew:) I have made both wine and beer in the past.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

So did I, but surprisingly enough, I could afford the proper stuff after Maggie had her arrse kicked out of No. 10.

What was that all about?

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

You sure you want to admit to that...bootlegger?

lexus300 likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@emerald52 But I spend my points as soon as they get to £2.50. I shop there all the time but don't have enough points:(:mad: That's not right!

Enjoying all the wine buying tips.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

@lindenlea that's a shame. I usually save them up for my xmas shop but found this event last year and so will use some points for it.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Despite the fact that I'm the main wine consumer I have to ask Mrs Cazorla what wines I like.

The extent of my wine judgement will be tested tomorrow as we have friends round and we're cooking fish.

My Decision
    "It's Fish so can you get some white wine please, dearest?"

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Last night we drank the kast bottle of Corbieres we brought back from France. 99 cent and very tasty. Mrs B fancied Gin tonight so I am working my way through a few bottles of Bishops finger and old speckled hen.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

You have also discovered that these can be bought at £1.25 a bottle most of the time?
    Currently on Banks Bitter, before Spitfire and Bishop's Finger

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Yep. At Lidl 1.25 a bottle.

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I far prefer Cava to Prosecco, my favourite red is Rioja, so Spanish wine for me. Tempranillo can be good, I also like Lebanese wine, Chateau Kfraya is lovely. Spanish Cava, £5.50 from Tesco or Sainsbury, Rioja, you can get a reasonable one for under £8.
    Mount Nebo wine in Jordan, around 24JD in a restaurant (1JD is about 92p)in fact all wines in Jordan are pricey!

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I'm cutting back on wine due to a hiatus hernia and the resulting heartburn.

My destination of choice is Lidl. I'd love to try Aldi, but we don't have one round here. We go to Majestic for the occasional bulk-buy.

14. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

A three litre box of very good Bulgarian red wine cost 14 leva last summer. That is 8 euros or about 9 pounds, so that would be around two pounds a bottle. Beer in Bulgaria is much cheaper and so are houses. That is why we bought a house and an apartment too.

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you like Rioja then try Valdepenas. Same grape, different region, half the price.

I'm with you re the Cava. Much better than Prosecco. Likewise Cremant de Bourgogne is the match for Champagne any day and about a third of the price. Picked up 6 bottles of Cremant d'alsace at Lidl the other week for £4 a bottle. They were having a clearout and had dozens of different bottles in a big bin all £4 each. Needed a bit of a sort through to find all the Cremant!

16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I like the idea of Cremant but haven't bought any. Have bought a few bottles of Sainsbury's Prosecco and may get a few more of something else for comparison's sake.

17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Given that we drink more French wine per head of capita than any other country in the world;and given how militant French workers are: do you seriously think French wine producers will tolerate import tariffs being mposed on them?? There'll be riots.

That would only happen in a reciprocal imposition, if the EU attempts to impose import tariffs on UK goods.

As for wine, depends what I'm drinking it for. Daily quaffing wine usually under a tenner. Otherwise... and usually from Majestic .

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

If it's any consolation, we have an Aldi in my town and I much prefer Lidl for things like wine and some other things. It seems to have a better selection in general.
    Sorry about your ill health, @smoothnewt .

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet New commenter

That Grape stuff, wouldn't touch it.

Now Elderberry, that's a good one. simple to make too, well not now, elderberries are finished.
    However, for next year:-
    1 large bucket of destalked elderberries
    Couple bags of sugar
    yeast.

Method.
    elderlberries sugar and water into larger bucket, add water to top - leave for about a week and a half.
    Strain out the lumps, and squash out all berries.
    put back into bucket for about a month.
    filter the contents and put into cork top bottles, leave for as long as you can. [you might get a few corks pop, but replace], After a year, if you still have, re-bottle and stoppper cork. best if left 2 to 3 years to mature.

P.S.
    COSTS FOR SUGAR AND YEAST ONLY, so about £2 for the lot, between 1 and 2 doz bottles

lexus300 likes this.
  20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hi. :) I was thinking about you today and wondering how you were . . . . can't remember exactly why i was thinking about you, but you were in my mind for sure. I hope you are doing ok?

Wine? After reading Didactys comment (50pence a bottle!), I'm going to start making my own wine next year when the temperatures improve (for brewing purposes). Meanwhile there's a very good deal on in Lidl just now for a crisp, dry white called Pedro Jiminez and it's £3 a bottle. I bought a bottle today, but will go back tomorrow and buy more if it hasn't already sold out.