1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you pay for wine and where do you buy it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Nov 10, 2017.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We always spent as little as seemed reasonable - £5.99/bottle seemed OK to me. That was when we were drinking a fair amount. This summer we went wine tasting and enjoyed putting more thought into what we were drinking and when we came home we thought we'd join The Wine Society and start being more discriminating. So, we've paid a bit more, not more than £10 though. Now Christmas is coming and we could do with getting some sparkling wine in and I'm trying to decide how much to buy and how much to spend. Majestic have good discounts and the Wine Society sell cava at £9 ish, prosecco a bit more, so not that different to Sainsbury's frankly. What do you do?

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I would regard that as ruinously expensive.
    50p is a about my limit and that is for the really good stuff

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

M&S usually, French usually, red always, up to £8 a bottle if not on offer but sometimes if you buy six bottles you get 25% off so I then go up to £10 a bottle.

lindenlea likes this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Didactylos4 I'm sure someone will say they get Bolly by the case from Fortnums. Somewhere in between you there might be something I can relate to. Ah here comes someone now.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  5. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

About three euros for a good red.

magic surf bus and lindenlea like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Your best vintages?

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That much?

I get my Chilean white decanted into a bucket from a bulk tanker at Harwich Docks.

BelleDuJour and Dunteachin like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Here's an eminently practical suggestion for very cheap wine of excellent quality.

You book a villa in Croatia.You drive down there via Udine and pop in to the Ipermercato Carrefour. You clear the shelves of Prosecco at about 3E a bottle. Then proceed to Istria.

Drink some of it on hols. Bring back the rest.

If you can't be bothered to do that (though you absolutely should) then anything up to a tenner.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Under £4 for a great Australian Kooliburra red at Aldi. MrSK gets another at about the same price. Otherwise, we like Yellowtale red for £7 or Fortnum & Mason cote du rhone for £10 (once a month or so!). We drink the Aldi mainly!

10. geographyrox

geographyrox New commenter

I'm a big fan of the wine society. I get a few cases of the society claret for everyday drinking and order a few bottles from their exhibition range when people are over etc.

Dont know anything about their prosecco, but the society champagne is very decent for the money. If I go for cheaper fizz I tend to go for german sekt, which after delivery from germany on amazon.de comes to about £6 a bottle.

11. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Great tax avoidance scheme.

needabreak, lexus300 and sabrinakat like this.
  12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm a guttersnipe. The rotten cabbages I live with make me think that everything is corked.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Unfortunately my tippling (OK, guzzling) days are drawing to a close.

I have always had a strong stomach and an imperturbable head but I find I am increasingly experiencing a hangover so I think I am going to have to go (gulp) teetotal. :eek::eek::eek:

george1963 likes this.
  14. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Wine Society here too, though more white than red. And Sainsburys -their demi-sec champagne usually gets good reviews at Christmas!

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Occasional commenter

Don't go on price, or where it's sold, go on the label if it's a wine you don't know.
    I'll look to see if it's classified by it's country - e.g. France wines go:
    • Appellation d'Origine Protégée (AoP - top step),
    • Vin Délimité de Qualité Supérieure (VDQS)
    • Indication Geographique Protegée (IGP - replacing VdP)
    • Vin de Table (VdT)
    I also look where it's from, the more specific the better; is it estate grown/bottled or has it come from all over? What the grape variety is (is it one I like). And sometimes what vintage it is (I don't like them too 'new').

Then if I like it, I'll buy more next time.

Prosecco, the best ones I've found tend to be around £8 (Aldi's one with the silver label and Sainsbury's Taste the Difference stick in my mind).

grumpydogwoman and emerald52 like this.
  16. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Sunday Times Wine Club. Really good though the offers are too tempting ;) !
    Just got sick of wondering around the local supermarket and buying the same old stuff . The club has introduced us to wines we would never have considered and we have not been disappointed to date . A good call ..,

17. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Oh yes only red ... but maybe will try their fizz this Christmas too

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Prosecco from Aldi or Lidl or when Sainsbury's have their offers (soon I think). I rarely drink these days though, so spend very little.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We usually stock up on our two trips a year to Europe.

Typically €4 a bottle, occasionally €5. Apart from the type of wine (Cote du Rhone, Merlot) I look out for those little stickers that say it's won a prize somewhere. Obviously what I pay in £ depends on the exchange rate.

Otherwise in the UK Mrs MSB only buys wine as part of a meal deal.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Friends bought me a life membership of the Times club a few years back. It was OK for the first few offers but very soon became too expensive for wines that too be honest were a bit hit and miss regarding quality. Now it is supermarkets shelves for me. At least you can pick up the bottle and read the label before you choose. Plus you can buy one, try it and if you like it go back for more. We also had a couple of batches of wine from Virgin but again once the introductory offer is used then their offerings were pretty poor for the price being paid.