1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you keep?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by beethan31, Apr 4, 2012.

1. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Morning all,
    One of my Easter holiday jobs is to have a bit of a clear out. We have a converted loft and that's where my desk and all my school stuff is. I have loads of lever arch files full of stuff, and am about to start culling it all. BUT I've just had those last minute "what if I need that?" and "ooh that might come in handy" thoughts.
    So, what's your rule when culling school paperwork/resources? Most of the stuff I use these days is on my memory stick. Shall I go for the same rule as I do for my wardrobe...if I've not used it for a year - bin it? Most of it's KS1 stuff and I'm currently in KS2 and wanting to stay there for the forseeable future. Hmmm...where to start?!!
    [​IMG]

2. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Morning all,
    One of my Easter holiday jobs is to have a bit of a clear out. We have a converted loft and that's where my desk and all my school stuff is. I have loads of lever arch files full of stuff, and am about to start culling it all. BUT I've just had those last minute "what if I need that?" and "ooh that might come in handy" thoughts.
    So, what's your rule when culling school paperwork/resources? Most of the stuff I use these days is on my memory stick. Shall I go for the same rule as I do for my wardrobe...if I've not used it for a year - bin it? Most of it's KS1 stuff and I'm currently in KS2 and wanting to stay there for the forseeable future. Hmmm...where to start?!!
    [​IMG]

3. I only keep paper copies if I don't have an electronic version. I only throw stuff away if I know I won't use it - usually because I've since made a better version or discovered that the idea/resource didn't actually work in the classroom.

4. Well I sincerely hope that's not the only place you have your stuff! Memory sticks should only be used to transport files - keep your stuff backed up elsewhere.

5. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

I was just thinking that! Might look into getting one of those mass storage devices. I do try to back up onto laptop, but haven't done that since Sept. Am currently adding that to my job list!!

6. If you have it electronically, bin it. If someone else has it, bin it. If you haven't used it for more than a year bin it! I keep very little and have rarely regretted it - I used to find I spent so much time looking for stuff it would be quicker to do it afresh anyway!

7. Have a look at free online cloud storage. (or even your VLE?)

http://techsplurge.com/910/top-5-free-cloud-storage-options/

8. I can only reiterate this- I lost my USB with 3 months work when I went home for the holidays. It's very definately GONE, along with all my work. Do please back it up!