1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you create yourself?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ealdor, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi there,
    I'm in my second term as an NQT and find I am still spending a long time planning. I reckon that I create about 90-95% of my own resources (PowerPoints, worksheets, explanatory handouts, flashcards and "playing" cards) and spend perhaps 45 minutes to an hour or per lesson... At first I didn't question this too much as I am a very creative person, but I find that it is really sapping time and energy now. I am well aware of the fact I could not even manage this prepping workload were I not part-time (3 days a week). However, I find I also feel guilty if I do use other stuff from elsewhere, as though I should be using my spare time when not in school creating my own resources...
    So my question is: How long do any of you spend on average planning and prepping each lesson? And what roughly what percentage of your resources do you create yourself?
    Thanks!

2. Hi there,
    I'm in my second term as an NQT and find I am still spending a long time planning. I reckon that I create about 90-95% of my own resources (PowerPoints, worksheets, explanatory handouts, flashcards and "playing" cards) and spend perhaps 45 minutes to an hour or per lesson... At first I didn't question this too much as I am a very creative person, but I find that it is really sapping time and energy now. I am well aware of the fact I could not even manage this prepping workload were I not part-time (3 days a week). However, I find I also feel guilty if I do use other stuff from elsewhere, as though I should be using my spare time when not in school creating my own resources...
    So my question is: How long do any of you spend on average planning and prepping each lesson? And what roughly what percentage of your resources do you create yourself?
    Thanks!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Bar the odd worksheet (10% max) I created everything from scratch. Sometimes I spent 3 hours per lesson which was ridiculous.
    There is nothing wrong with using other resources, you can always tailor them to your classes or even your style. If you do have time it is useful to be creating some resources as it will help in future that you have a collection you can keep turning to when needed x

4. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

I occasionally create things myself, but it's pretty rare bar the odd powerpoint which takes about 10 minutes (they just contain notes I want copied down and questions to go through as a class, no thrills). And even then I often teach without one.

If I want questions I generally use the textbooks, if I want more exciting activities I'll use TES, the department resources or a couple of good resource websites I used when training. I may be wrong here, but it seems to me the most important thing in a lesson if the kids are to learn isn't the activities themselves (assuming you have pupils who can concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time) but the way you tailor your explanations of the material, predict and deal with misconceptions and answer pupils questions in a way they will understand. Obviously its nice to throw out some bangs and whistles occasionally, but I'm never convinced it really helps learning that much.

5. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

When I was in my NQT year I used to make most things myself, but that was because I spent very little time on the TES and so did not use the resources section. Now I'm in my 4th year of teaching I am much happier to use the resources that I find - there are plenty available that (wonderful) people have spent literally hours on - and it's great to use them to enhance my teaching. I think in my NQT year I didn't so much feel guilty about using resources that I hadn't made, more that I knew exactly what I wanted to use/what questions I wanted to ask and so I made most things myself. Now I do a good trawl of the resources section before starting a unit and just have a check if there is anything that I could add into my plans to improve them.

Nowadays I adapt my lesson PowerPoint (which I did make in my NQT year, but I use Boardworks as a basis) and just tweak resources/look for new ideas online - on TES and elsewhere. I also plan well in advance so that I can have a night off if I want/need to and I won't have to worry about whether everything is sorted for the next day.

6. I'm also doing my NQT year and find myself making virtually everything ... It IS time-consuming but I'll be glad to be able to reuse things if I can next year.
    I'm starting to use other resources occasionally and I don't think anyone should feel guilty about this - it doesn't mean you're not doing a good job and, personally, I'd be thrilled to think that one of the resources I've uploaded (more to come) has helped someone out.
    My problem is that I put quite a lot into my powerpoints, so you may just want to consider making them less pretty/perfect?
    Best of luck to everyone - come half term I think we're technically halfway there!

7. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am a NQT and I hardly create any resources myself! I teach BTEC and use the BTEC resource booklet which has loads of worksheets and activities, I used TES resources and various websites for PowerPoints on the topic I need and I just fine tune it. I am also lucky that the teacher whose mat leave I'm covering has folders of last years resources in the room.
    I would say I spend a maximum of 3 hours a week planning my lessons as most of it is amending and printing. So I get all this done during my PPA time. I spend far more time with marking to be honest as BTEC is all coursework.
    My observations have never been any lower than good so I am happy to save as much time as possible:)

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I would disagree to be honest: your resources, made yourself, are tailored far more precisely than any on websites, TES or textbooks. You should definitely be thinking about how you put the objective across and how you can measure progress but I would expect most staff to be personalising their resources to their classes. x

9. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Another way to see this is to take the resource of someone else and complete the work prior to the lesson (if you teach a humanities subject, that is!) That way you will have the exemplar material and an idea for how the students might complete the task.

The thing I think that makes a teacher is the ability to model (and to think out loud through the process.) You might be better served doing this. I found that I wanted to spend a similar time on lessons as investment - preparing modelling/exemplars was thing, rather than creating the resources themselves. Good luck!

10. littlemissraw

Good to hear this. Its one of the things that keeps me happy when I'm fed up about the whole teaching thing x

11. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

I normally spend about 15 - 20 minutes per night. When I start a new unit I normally gather all of my resources (from others in dept or from internet), sometimes I might have to change them slightly but in my view, why reinvent the wheel?

12. Louise1989

Louise1989 New commenter

I think definitely a balance. I work to live, I don't live to work. Spending hours at a time planning and resourcing one lesson is ridiculous!

13. littlemissraw

Because someone has to spend hours making the resource, and if you take off the TES you should also be uploading...x

14. pob1888

pob1888 New commenter

Becasue someone spends hours making a resource I should to? Our department use a number of different resource companies which are paid for by the department.

15. littlemissraw

Yes. Not ALL the time obviously, but I think if people download off TES they should upload to TES also. Otherwise the whole 'sharing' systems breaks down... If all your resources are paid for then thats great. X

16. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Very true littlemissraw, I have used TES resources loads and not uploaded anything. I'll have a look this week and see what i think is good enough to add. [​IMG]

17. littlemissraw

Thats great to hear, I'm sure you've done loads of wonderful things [​IMG]

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have been teaching for more than thirty years and I am still making teaching resources for my class. Yes, some of the things on the TES website are excellent, but some of them are not very well designed and need a bit more work.
    A scanner is an essential piece of kit for every teacher, in my opinion.

19. littlemissraw

I agree. I'd have been lost without my ADF scanner (Canon MX880 All in One)! Loved the double sided printing too. Huge time saver! x

20. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

Have a look at www.rainbowresources.co.uk - lots of the (mainly display) resources are editable. If If you see something that might be useful but needs a different font, for example, email via the site and I may be able to help.