1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do you charge?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by morrish4, Apr 23, 2011.

1. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

£35 - South East for primary

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Gulp...I'm 40 squid. I think that's pretty good. If the kids get in, their parents have just saved over 125K in private school fees. I'm also finding myself doing more and more unpaid pastoral and prep work. I'm in a big city. Abysmal local academies.

3. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well yes. A good London cleaner gets 12-14 an hour. Min wage is about 10. Well i am worth more than double the minimum wage. It is intensive hard work, one to one. Done right, kids excel and achieve far more, far faster. They respond to the closeness of it all. But it is knackering. If I can have five kids a day not seven, I am happier and so are they. 40-45 an hour is fine, I think. It's 400 for ten hours and I often go over if they are keen to ask more or complete an extra test. My plumber charges 95 an hour. 95!

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Merseyside area. Been charging £20 for adults and KS3 and £25 for KS4. I have just put my adult prices up to £25.
    I charge 15 for primary but only for 45 min

5. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

Just a quick question:
    Have had my prices static for nearly 2 years now. How often are people raising their prices and by what percentage?
    Two years ago I raised from £30 to £35.
    Thanks

6. langteacher

I have only just put mine up as I am busy enough as it is so it is more of a trial really to see if there is as much demand at the new price. I had a recent conversation with a customer who said that £20 was quite cheap and when I started a new adult, she thought it was 25 (cos that's what i charge for GCSE so she must have seen that) and she would have been happy to pay it. I think this is the first time I have increased and I am only doing it for new starters
    What does everyone else do? Increase for new ones or for everyone?

7. -Sarah-

-Sarah- New commenter

It depends if you are going to declare your earnings - if so, remember to factor in the tax you'll be paying.

When I was working freelance in London as a TEFL tutor I charged £60 an hour (started out at £45 but with tax & travel expenses it wasn't enough) and students had to pay for 5 lessons up front. Cancellations had to be made 24 hours in advance or they would lose the class.

I got most of my students thanks to satisfied clients recommending me to friends & family - relationship and trust-building is vital to establishing a loyal client base.

In addition, little touches like good-quality business cards (moo.com are great), giving proper receipts after payment & establishing a learning agreement at the start will make you stand out as a pro.

8. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

In my terms and conditions i state that prices increase every year in line with inflation and give the link to the office of national statistics. In march I gave out a letter with just this sentence:

"This is to give notice that from the 6th April 2017 the cost of a 1 hour tutoring lesson will rise from £40 to £41. This is broadly in line with inflation at 2.3%."

Everyone seemed perfectly happy with that and i think it is fairer than suddenly raising the price by £5

Ravena likes this.
  9. wroberts3

wroberts3 New commenter

£32/hour regardless of session length, subject (I teach various) or level. I do not travel or, if I must, I negotiate additional payment. I have never had a complaint about pricing or anyone give pricing as a reason for not employing me.

10. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Merseyside area-25 quid per hour for KS4. Haven't done any A Level tuition but would probably charge 30 due to the amount of preparation needed.

11. RosieLKH

RosieLKH New commenter

I'm in Cambridgeshire & charge £30 an hour for KS1 & 2. I ask for payment for a block of 4 lessons to be paid in advance. The largest agency in our area charges £38 - £46 for this age range depending on how any hours are signed up for, though not paid for, in advance.

12. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I now charge £30 for GCSE, £35 for A level and £45 for undergraduate. All online.

treeickle likes this.
  13. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I keep families on the rate I agreed at the beginning. There's a certain turnover, so I just put new clients on my newer, higher rates. It works a dream - no complaints and my cashflow's pleasantly healthy.

14. langteacher

that is what I have done.

15. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

£25 an hour for ks3 and GCSE. I don't live near a city and I am not a qualified teacher. I do have a good degree in the subject and lots of experience.

16. justengaged

justengaged New commenter

Which subject and how do you get students online as there are usually tonnes of tutors all trying to undercut each other to get business online.

17. justengaged

justengaged New commenter

Don't believe you! 60 squid for a EFL lesson? In London with a myriad of teachers and language schools? PS You don't pay tax on cash do you!

18. wroberts3

wroberts3 New commenter

I sincerely hope she does.

19. sriley1988

sriley1988 New commenter

I charge £20 for GCSE and £25 for A level in Cornwall. I also add on a supplement if I need to travel out of my way to get there.