1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do Uber drivers make

Discussion in 'Personal' started by krakowiak6, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

I had 2 Uber taxis the other day and I asked them if it was a well paying job. One was waffling on
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] that he knew someone who made 68k last year but he worked long hours, the other said he makes about 10-12 quid an hour after taking into account all his expenses. There is also a limit to the number of hours you can do. I think Ubers official rate of hourly pay is 16 pounds an hour. I also read some stories of drivers taking Uber to court saying the pay is minimum wage or less. And I have read about some drivers who worked for Uber and then left them to go back to the normal taxis. Just wondered what they can earn. It cost £17. 50 to go about 15 miles if I remember with their cheapest taxi.

2. krakowiak6

Just checked it was 17.86 there and 21 on the way back. Maybe longer way round on the way back

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I'm not going sarf ov da river at dis time o day!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm rather confused @krakowiak6 why you constantly quote wages/ hours of jobs outside the world on education on what is basically an educational platform?

Might be relevant for those no longer teaching perhaps, but they probably no longer frequent these boards?

foxtail3 and Mangleworzle like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Perhaps he/she works for the DfE to persuade teachers not to jump ship by painting quick alternatives as less than attractive.

6. krakowiak6

I am sorry if I confused you but I posted it in the personal column not the workplace dilemmas one. Brexit is also nothing to do with teaching. In fact none of the personal threads are or should be to do with teaching except if it is a personal issue at school or something.

Anyway I just wondered how much they make as there are so many cars waiting in most areas. I checked mine today and there were about 8 cars hanging around for customers. There should be someone come along who knows someone who is an Uber driver.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The way things are going for Boris Johnson I think he may well be able to tell you soon....

Lara mfl 05 and Mangleworzle like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

What does the ethnicity of Uber drivers have to do with anything? You don't know the ethnicity of posters on here anyway.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm sorry you see ethnicity as represented in an occupation as relevant enough to log here. You might think you are making a statement of fact, since if it is true, it might be an objective descriptor pertaining to appearance*
    However, so is the colour of the car.
    So what colour are most of the cars then?

*I say "might", meaning to some people. But not to me. Personally? The notion of looking at somebody and using "Asian" as a useful descriptor is excessively ignorant given the cultural, legal and ethnic make up of our population. It's also a demarcation which connotes ethnic segregation and social stratification if you happen to use it in terms of occupation. Yes, we are ethnically segregated on many many levels. But don't feed it please.
    Nul points for relevance. Minus points for (unwitting) everyday racism.

Yours
    Preachy McPreachface

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    monicabilongame and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. krakowiak6

Can you please just answer the thread or not at all. No one in this city is a white taxi driver whether Uber or Black Cab. I don't see why that is a racist comment. I am bewildered why you think it is. Colours of cars? Do you not think a police officer giving a description of a suspect on the radio might say he looks of Asian appearance? Is he being racist?

Please get off your high horse and don't bother answering the question then.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Presumably, the only people who can tell you what Uber drivers make, are Uber drivers. You’ve already canvassed two and been told two very different amounts.

I have never been in an Uber, so I haven’t asked and I don’t know. Nor do I know what Amazon drivers make, which is what you asked recently. I only know that the Amazon driver who called today lobbed a parcel over the back gate when he/she had no reply. We shall see later whether the contents are intact.

Does that answer the question?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Are you normally so aggressive?

Lara mfl 05 and sbkrobson like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's not a high horse.
    It's a properly reasoned suggestion of why your post may have been offensive to some people. I don't think you intended to be offensive, but it needed to be said. If people are distracted by something offensive, then no, they don't focus on the actual question.
    The fact that you show no interest in that explanation and have resorted to name calling and overriding the points I made with little relevance is a shame. It reflects more on you than on any high horse and my alleged placement thereupon.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Which is exactly what will happen, people will stop responding, and exactly why I asked the question
    , whether it's on W & D or 'Personal. .

15. krakowiak6

It's in the personal forum @Lara mfl 05 . Teachers ask lots of non educational stuff on the personal forum. I don't know what the problem is. I took 2 Uber taxis last week and just wondered how much they earn. People on TES forums talk about salaries all the time. I don't see there is a problem. It is in the personal forum.

16. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

monicabilongame likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.