1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much do heads need to know?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by blueone, Jan 18, 2012.

1. blueone

blueone New commenter

Basically, long story short Ive got post natal depression. I had it after my baby was born, thought it was sorted after taking anti d-pills, went back to work full time in sept and now its come back (may have not gone!) so im back on pills again after a tearful visit to drs. My GP advised that i tell my head about my depression because my employer has a duty to care/make provisons for me. Is he right? Should I discuss this with my head? I want to go pt (ive posted that here before) as along with other reasons, I feel it will help my mental state a lot. But im not sure how deeply i need to delve into my reasons. Im off sick as the moment, partly due to the flu, partly due to being stressed, but my school think its just the flu and nothing else. So, should i tell them whats going on? What would be the benefits of telling them? Will it be considered when i request pt?

2. blueone

blueone New commenter

Basically, long story short Ive got post natal depression. I had it after my baby was born, thought it was sorted after taking anti d-pills, went back to work full time in sept and now its come back (may have not gone!) so im back on pills again after a tearful visit to drs. My GP advised that i tell my head about my depression because my employer has a duty to care/make provisons for me. Is he right? Should I discuss this with my head? I want to go pt (ive posted that here before) as along with other reasons, I feel it will help my mental state a lot. But im not sure how deeply i need to delve into my reasons. Im off sick as the moment, partly due to the flu, partly due to being stressed, but my school think its just the flu and nothing else. So, should i tell them whats going on? What would be the benefits of telling them? Will it be considered when i request pt?

3. I would be saddened if I was not told about depression. The head has a clear duty of care but I guess a lot depends on your relationship with the head.

I wish you well and hope things get better soon

4. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Have sent you a message x

5. I would definitely want to know as Head and would not hold it against you but thats just me

6. Had it too - but 29 years ago (Cor, am I relly that old?!!!). It wasn't talked about then, and felt as if it had to be hushed up. And,boy, did I need to talk about it! I hope we have all come a long way since then and understand more about what it is all about.
    I, as a caring Head, would definitely want to know and work on ways of supporting you.
    Best wishes x

7. southernteacher

southernteacher New commenter

I expect your head has noticed something is up, sharing what is going on will help him/her to support you through a tough time. Good luck

8. blueone

blueone New commenter

Thanks for replies, i will speak to my head! one concern i do have is this, if i tell my head i have PND at the same time as requesting pt work, do you think they will think i am using it to request pt? I know that requests have to go to governors, will my disclosure affect my chances of getting pt?