1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much did you spend on textbooks?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ctinblue7, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask how much did you all spend on textbooks for your course? Just trying to plan ahead in terms of budgeting etc. How much money do you think I should put aside for a PGCE Primary course?

Thanks

2. Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask how much did you all spend on textbooks for your course? Just trying to plan ahead in terms of budgeting etc. How much money do you think I should put aside for a PGCE Primary course?

Thanks

3. I spent £0 on books. I used the library, ebooks, google books and journals all for free!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I bought a few that looked especially good/relevant/were listed as essential, mostly second hand, and used the library for everything else. Probably spent around £50.

5. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I spent quite a lot, probably about £150 but I had a pretty extensive reading list and only bought the most useful/recommended ones. I'm selling a bunch of them here if anyone is interested: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/564555.aspx

6. You should look on the website for your uni, a lot of the time students that are finishing this year will start selling their own books ridiculously cheaply...that's how I got loads of mine

Good luck :)

7. Thanks everyone, will hang on a bit yet until I get an answer from the university before buying. Hopefully the library will be well stocked up on recommended textbooks :)

8. PeggyDee

PeggyDee New commenter

Same here. And the same goes for all the other students in my group. None of us have spent money on text books.

The library is well stocked and depending where you are studying most uni libraries share with several other libraries too. I found all the best resources for my assignment essays came from journal articles rather than text books, and the library had all the journals on line.
    I would suggest starting the course and start doing your research and only spend money if and when you find you absolutely have to.

9. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I don't think I bought any, to be honest - I just got them out of the library. Most of them would have been a waste of cash anyway. At the end of my course, however, I did buy a couple, on things like AfL, that I'd actually found really useful, but spent no more than £30 overall.

10. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

When I completed the PGCE I had a textbook list with one particular book stated as being necessary. I looked at it a few times but it was useless.
    I got through the course without any further purchases. I used the training provider resources and the electronic journal database they gave me access to.

11. I have so far spend £0 as its not needed! use the uni library which should be stocked up with multiple copies of general books and then you will be doing specific research that you choose! also books are good but you will soon find that journals and articles are far more current and specific to what you need!!