1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much continuous provision should there be in year 2?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hangerl, May 22, 2011.

1. How much continuous provision does people have in their year 2 class. Do you allow free choice or set challanges? Do you stick to literacy provisions for literacy sessions or allow them to have a free choice ? Wondering what other people do as I need to include continous provision into my planning and teaching.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

By Summer term in Y2, you should be immersed in preparing the children for year three. IE. very little continuous provision.
    What you do provide should be along a problem solving theme, encouraging independent thinking.

3. I am thinking of September my year 2 class this year have very little CP. InSeptember I will have mixed Y1&2 and was worried that if I give Y1 CP I will need to do the same for Y2. I am planning on reducing the amount each term so to prepare them for Y3. The trouble is I am use to teaching in a structured class set up with free choice at the end of the week.

4. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Ofsted said (to us) that free choice continuous provision was not appropriate for Y2. We now do free choice for Y1, and set challenges for Y2. However they have fairly limited access to it anyway - just 2 afternoons per week. We give them a passport to complete with a certain number of set investigations, games, writing and drawing activities and maths challenges. Most of them are very very keen - they love the challenges. A very few are simply not interested and want to play with the Y1s. There is no set answer, and it really does depend on your HT and your Ofsted inspector.