1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much continuous provision is in your year 1 classroom?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by miss1986, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Hi, I am in my second year of teaching in year 1. I feel that though I do try and make my classroom as play based learning, with continuous provision as possible, it is hard to fit it all in!! What areas do you have and how do you use them? With marking demands, setting up and planning, I find my areas just end up being used as after work areas. Any ideas?

2. Hi, I am in my second year of teaching in year 1. I feel that though I do try and make my classroom as play based learning, with continuous provision as possible, it is hard to fit it all in!! What areas do you have and how do you use them? With marking demands, setting up and planning, I find my areas just end up being used as after work areas. Any ideas?

3. Hi,
    I'm also having the same problem. I'm in my third year of teaching year 1 and find it really hard to intergrate continous provision into my classroom. At the moment I have two role play areas (that are always linked to the topics we are doing) and I try to display resources that I would like the children to use but I find space is a massive issue as well as trying to move on children's learning - I feel like I need more adults and a lot more time to make/set up resources etc. I would appreciate any support as well,

4. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

short answer- in my class, none! I have only enough space for the children to sit down at their tables and have to move tables when we all sit on the carpet together. Also, with cp activities, the children became very noisy, because of the space and also becuase they perceived that friends were playing when they had to do work, so we have had to rethink the whole thing.
    In theory, the idea of carrying an EYFS approach to classroom organsiation/ management in y1 is great, but my class have gone from choosing in 5 different areas to being in 1 room all day and it's been very hard going for us all! We alos have a statutory curriculum in y1 which R are not constrained by. I don't worry about what I am or should be doing as my children are happy and making great progress, so I must be getting something right!!

5. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have role play area, computers, maths/science, phonics area, construction area, writing table, creative table(just in the afternoon, in the morning its used for independent group to work) 2 buildes trays with small world in and carpet area (once we've moved off the carpet) for cars/train/dolls etc in the classroom. Outside the classroom there is a wide corridor which has kitchen, playdoh, water, sand, paint, dolls house.
    In literacy and numeracy I have 3 groups working (2 with adult and 1 independent) and 2 groups using the areas. I have just started introducing challenges in the areas, the children don't have to do them, but if they do their photo goes on the wall and they get a sticker!! So last week in construction the challenge was to build a bridge for the knights to walk over, ICT challenge was to draw and label a character from Jack and the Beanstalk.
    I try and link the areas with the topic and change the enhancements weekly or fortnightly depending on how the children are using them.
    I'm also lucky that since September I've had extra support to help transition, so some mornings a group can go into the outside area, though I think this support is going at Easter.

6. I am lucky to have a huge room...
    INDOORS: Science interactive area (at the moment: alive now/ was alive/ never alive, Literacy table (stencils, alphabet charts, foam capital letters, wooden and magnetic letters, paper, pencils, giant pencils, pens, white boards, dictionary work) Sound of the week interactive area (words, objects, perspex over the sound and words so the children can trace them), Numeracy table (magnetic boards/numbers and symbols, tape measures, H/T/U roll boards, ticker counters, tape measures, counting sticks, squared paper, pencils, squared white boards, pens, range of die, rulers, m/sticks, diennes, additions/subtraction bingo boards, scales)1 computer and Interactive white board with games relating to current work, Big book corner, reading corner, felt story boards for picture sequencing/word ordering, 2 lined white boards with stools and pens, construction area, listening station with 4 headsets, role play area related to topics.
    OUTDOORS: black boards and chalk, hula hoops, giant snakes and ladders (or some other turn taking game), bench and case of books, giant construction/blocks, table and mark making kit (same as literacy table), 1-100 carpet squares to make giant 100-square with clip boards with 100-squares on, tray for soil/sand exploration, water area with a focus...weights, capacity, fix the leaks, transporting...etc.
    We have our carpet inputs for each session and then I call children to do our 'jobs' in small groups and the children 'get busy' around the room for about 30 minutes. They know how many children can be at each area and that they can only go to each area once a day and that in each 30 minute session they all swap once (after 15 minutes)
    it works really well and my TA or parent volunteers help lead certain tasks and take photos/write down what the children are doing/saying to go into their books.

7. Hi, I think it is really hard to plan for CP, though I love the way it works, in our school I'm not sure that it is possible all the time. One afternoon a week I run classroom very much as FS would, but that is about it, in the mornings for literacy I spilt the groups and do have independent activities for chn to do , while I work with a group and my TA has a group and then we swop.
    This sounds great, we are starting Castles next half term, what did you do with your role play?

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

My role play was a castle. I have a wooden 'house' built by a parent. On the ouside I covered it in grey paper and children used a sponge to sponge bricks on. I also taped two large boxes together to make a tall tower which the children sponged, I cut out a door and window! Its big enough for one child to sit in or stand in and look out of the window!!
    Inside I made a throne out of an upside down book box (one of those square wooden ones split into 4!), then lots of fancy dress - knights, princesses, kings, jewellry, swords, shields etc.
    Writing opportunities change depending on the focus for the week. I've also added fairytale stuff as we've moved on to looking at fairytales.