1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much classroom organisation time do I need during the summer holidays?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LearTARD, Jan 6, 2016.

1. LearTARD

LearTARD New commenter

Basically I am an NQT starting my first job in a month. My family are interested in booking a two week holiday during the summer. I was just wondering how many days primary school teachers would advise on leaving free before the first day back at school? I'm not 100% sure on what sort of things I would need to do during this time- obviously classroom organisation for the next class etc, so thought I would ask for some advice! I would hope to get started a little bit before the school holidays to be more organised, but unsure how doable this would be!
    Thank you!

2. therunningman

therunningman New commenter

Personally I spend one to two days on July tidying up and tieing up loose ends.

I tented to pop in for a day or two before school starts again in Sept to get the classroom ready.

I also tend to spend probably about 3-4 days worth of time, split over half days and evenings at home on planning and other paperwork.

There are other staff in our school who do similar whilst one or two work a bit harder before breaking up so that once school stops for summer, one day on September is all that is needed.

I certainly wouldn't stop anything getting in the way of family time or holidays and work and school work around my home plans.

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Everyone is different. There are some teachers who come in the first day of the holidays to get stuff done and then are back in the final couple of days doing this and that.

I come in for a couple of hours and that's it. I don't bother putting all my displays up before the children start the term. I find they take more notice if you gradually add them up over the first couple of weeks.

As you're an NQT, you will probably need/want to spend a little extra time (a day or two should be plenty) just getting used to your room and where you want everything to be. Some schools will get the boards backed at the end of the summer term, so maybe check if that's going to be done for your room.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You'll also need to ask in school, the office manager will know, when the building is generally open. Some schools only open the first and last week's of the holiday, some are open all through, some odd days here and there. It also depends on when the August bank holiday falls.

It depends a bit on what sort of room you have inherited. I'm a very experienced teacher, but the room I have just taken over was in a terrible state, so it has taken way more time than expected to sort it out. In previous posts, I've sometimes needed almost no time at all.

But if you book your holiday somewhere early/mid August you will definitely be fine.

5. LearTARD

LearTARD New commenter

Thank you so much for all of your help! It has made me feel much better about it all!

6. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

Depending on how large the school is, it may be worth liaising with your other year teachers and arranging to be in school at the same time. That way you can help one another with the classroom set-up tasks, you can draw on their experience and you can begin to forge relationships.

I'd also strongly recommend having some time set aside to rest and relax as you will need your batteries fully charged when term begins.

Good luck!