1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much Christianity?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by BexMO, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Im probably wrong but I thought the British curriculum had to major in Christianity and this is 51% or more.... Maybe I just heard that somewhere or its my slow conversion to a catholic shcool ethos. I dont entirely agree because we have such a diverse population which benefits from a varied curriculum.
    We only devote a module to other traditions in KS3 and Christianity is always referred to in comparison or AT2.

2. An agreed syllabus should ‘reflect the fact that the religious traditions in Great Britain are in the main Christian, while taking account of the teaching and practices of other principal religions represented in Great Britain.’ (Education Act 1996).

3. Thanks to you both for your replies. Yes I had that quote in mind -does that mean more than 50% teaching time should be spent on Christianity then, or just that the total amount of time spent on the religion should be more than the total amount spent on any other religion . . . which could be less that 50% teaching time as long as there was more Christianity taught than Judaism, Hinduism etc.
    How does it work in other schools? What do you do in KS3?

4. There are no proportions stated in legislation, just an affirmation that British culture is predominantly based on Christianity and that should be reflected. I worked in a Church of England school which at the time had a 98% Muslim intake, we offered the two Edexcel Islam papers as an optional gcse full course and did the Christianity & one other (Islam) for compulsory short course, Islam actually predominated but the diocese was OK with that. What was interesting was the fascination with Christianity as a doorway to English culture, I had never understood that half the plots in soaps are hard to comprehend (yet alone Shakespeare and the English Civil War) without a basic grasp of Christianity.