1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much can I be expected to take????

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by BuryFCA1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

In a recent learning walk I was graded a 3. My last observation was a 2 but two prior observations to that were graded 3's and every time I have been told that I am just that little finishing touch away from being a consistent 2 but every time I get a grade 3 the feedback is always inconsistent and different things need tweaking!
    My HoD is best mates with our Head and me and my HoD dont always see eye to eye. My HoD is not mentally stable and this is clear to see to lots of staff but the friendship with the Head is hindering our process as a dept. We keep employing new teachers in our dept who stay for the short term and then move on citing irreconcilable differences with our HoD. I have been stuck here for 5 years now but love the school and other staff.
    Our Head has given me a Head of Year role covering a maternity and I have shone in the role but she wont guarantee me a permanent Head of Year role in the future because I need to be a consistent 2 in the classroom.
    Am I being singled out and played along or am I paranoid? Honesty please!

2. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

In a recent learning walk I was graded a 3. My last observation was a 2 but two prior observations to that were graded 3's and every time I have been told that I am just that little finishing touch away from being a consistent 2 but every time I get a grade 3 the feedback is always inconsistent and different things need tweaking!
    My HoD is best mates with our Head and me and my HoD dont always see eye to eye. My HoD is not mentally stable and this is clear to see to lots of staff but the friendship with the Head is hindering our process as a dept. We keep employing new teachers in our dept who stay for the short term and then move on citing irreconcilable differences with our HoD. I have been stuck here for 5 years now but love the school and other staff.
    Our Head has given me a Head of Year role covering a maternity and I have shone in the role but she wont guarantee me a permanent Head of Year role in the future because I need to be a consistent 2 in the classroom.
    Am I being singled out and played along or am I paranoid? Honesty please!

3. ott

ott

Hi, I think someone has mentioned to you before but I do think you should be careful of how much you identify yourself on a public forum like this. I understand that you want to let off steam but this sort of message could just make things worse for you.
    Sorry if this is not the sort of response you were looking for but it is meant to be of help.

4. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

You are being used.
    Now, if you like the kids, the school and the curriculum AND if you feel in control in your own classroom the rest is just POLITICS.

You have to box clever. Play lip service to every request they make, do one thing they ask for brilliantly and present it thanking them for the opportunity. Seem genuinely interested in everything they say then carry on as if this POLITICS didn't exist.

If you are clever they will leave you alone as it is merely a power trip.

5. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

I have deliberately put things in here to throw people off identifying me. I have been at the school a lot less than 5 years and am not an RE teacher. I placed this in RE so no one from my school would identify me.

6. What criteria are they grading you on?
    The new Ofsted criteria are tougher - basically the old 2 is now pretty similar to a 3.

7. You should ask to see examples of good and outstanding practice and measure yourself against what you see.

Ask for an AST to come into school for coaching and mentoring. They will provide the SLT with a more objective opinion (hopefully).

1/2 gradings are more difficult to achieve than they used to be. AfL is no good without all students demonstrating good progress. Ensure you have watertight strategies for this. Effective questioning if also key.

Good luck.