1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much booze do you have indoors?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Jan 26, 2020.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

With dry January lurching towards its end (not that I took part) I wonder how much drink people have at home? My total is three bottles of white wine and half a bottle of sherry. I am by no means a heavy drinker but always have wine with Sunday dinner.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We seem to drink less and less - well I certainly do, my husband drinks a bit more. Currently on the wine rack there are two bottles of rioja, two bottles of white, one bottle of Champagne and one bottle of Biddenden (English sparkling). I suffer from acid reflux and sparkling wines in particular can be unforgiving - hence they have not been drunk yet.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I don't drink much, a drop of wine or beer. Three 500ml cans of beer in the fridge, two of those tiny bottles of red wine that open for cooking then drink the remainder, a bottle of whisky with about a third in it I was given at Christmas about ten years ago, a bottle of Woods navy rum I was given at Christmas about five years ago with about a tenth in, a bottle of ruby port I bought in December with about half a glass in it.

4. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

We have a bottle of very nice English sparkling wine, two bottles of malbec, a bottle of port and assorted spirits. We had catered for a house full of adults over xmas and new year plus a number of friends over the holiday period. Noone seemed to be a drinking mood though we did have some excellent wine with xmas lunch.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Oh, port! I had forgotten about the bottle I was given at Christmas, unopened as yet.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh ho now you're asking! For certain there are five bottles of single malt and two of gin. There are bits a pieces of other spirits and sherry etc and then probably 12 bottles of assorted wines and several bottles of fizz of various types. We generally have a bottle of wine on a Saturday night and maybe a glass or two of something during the week but not much if we're on our own but we do take wine out with us if we're seeing friends and quite a lot gets drunk then. Husband likes to have plenty of interesting whisky to offer friends if they are here. I started to write about how we've collected the stock we've got but then thought that wasn't actually the question so deleted it.

7. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Oh do elaborate on that! Since when do TES posters stick to the point of a thread?...

lizziescat and Jamvic like this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

This I can answer precisely because it's kept in the cupboard under the stairs, and I've just cleared it out.
    8 bottles red wine, 4 bottles white wine, 2 sparkling, all supermarket plonk apart from the Champagne. 10 bottles various craft ale, part of a Christmas pres for MrA, 2 cans Guinness. Half a bottle of Marsala for cooking.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Gin, vodka, rum, whisky, 2/3 liqueurs, 3 bitter, 3 lager, 20 ish bottles of assorted wine, couple each of prosecco, cremant , champagne.

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Not sure. There's the wine rack with the bottom shelf of precious wines I'm not allowed to touch and two higher shelves of wine that I can drink. There is usually gin and brandy, sometimes rum. I've still got sloe gin and spiced orange brandy from Christmas knocking about.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

haha! Well @BertieBassett2 we bought a load of fizz for husbands birthday in the summer, then lots of guests bought some with them so we still have a stock. We're in the Wine Society and make up a case every few weeks and look out for wines from vineyards we've visited in France. The whisky is because husband is a typical Scot and likes to be generous with it and is always keen to pick up whatever he sees on offer. The gin is because we usually have Gordons but I decided I wanted a choice so we've got some Bombay Sapphire too and I love a sherry on a winter's evening. The other bits and pieces are favourites for friends and family - martini, Bailey's, vodka, Bacardi and a bottle of cooking brandy. There's port there too. it is a very full cupboard with the garage doubling as the wine cellar. isn't everyone like this - obviously not. I suppose a full stock at least indicates that we're not total lushes.

BertieBassett2 and primarycat like this.
  12. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Goodness..... a barrowful! After wedded years when I kept all 'my' alcohol hidden I now delight in my lovely separate wine rack - about 16 bottles in that, Rosés for the younger who never seems to drink the ones I get in, Malbecs - Argentinian mostly, odd bottle of Aussie Shiraz, Sauternes. In my kitchen units' rack I have a champagne, a Penfolds, a St Emilion, a Nuit St Georges. In my display cabinet there is whisky, brandy, pink gin, rhubarb and goner gin, a Hunter's gin, Baccadi Limon, JD, Baileys x2 and a coffee version, Tia Maria, Cointreau, port (bought in a cellar of a producer in Porto) 2 bottles of Drambuie, vodka. In the cupboard below additional bottles of whisky, and others I have forgotten.
    All strange really as I actually drink quite rarely now.....and the folk who come to my dos don't seem to drink too much either !!
    Oh I forgot the 12 year old Japanese whisky the younger daughter got me.... er several years ago....on my bookcase.....

Lalad, primarycat and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have varied spirits, port, Vermouth, Marsala and Madeira for cooking.

For drinking there are pear gin, blackberry gin, bourbon, lagers, white wine, cava and red wine. It is rare that I open a bottle of wine at home but I like to have some in. Mr BS drinks the lager. I have one or two drinks of gin or bourbon most weeks.

14. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Cripes. Loads! Something more than a case of wine. Champagne. Lots of gin, plus various homemade sloe gins and so on. Maybe thirty beers and a few pints of cider. Whisky, brandy and so on for cooking. Rum. Sherry for him indoors. We could open a shop! We don't actually drink that much but we buy wine by the case and happen to have a lot, and to have a selection of things for cooking and drinking you have to have a bottle of each. I love gin but I hardly ever drink it. Mostly I have a beer or cider these days. We even have rice wine for Chinese cooking. We'll be ok for alcohol come brexit anyway.

15. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I have far more than necessary as I don't drink at home. I'm gifted it all throught the year and get various bottles of voddie for birthdays and Christmas.

I do know I seem to have 18 bottles of champagne and at some point will have to have a 'do' and demonstrate the fun in getting entirely squiffy on it.

16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Two unopened bottles each of red and rose wine in the cupboard under the stairs, plus single bottles of Vermouth, gin, whisky, port, Pastis, brandy, Limoncello, Campari, Aperol, Japanese rice wine and Hortus Rhubarb and Ginger Liqueur, all started and of varying vintages, i.e. most of them were opened months if not years ago.

(I'm doing dry January but now wish I wasn't!)

17. install

install Star commenter

15 bottles of unopened various gin - all several years old. Might be wiser to chuck 'em now.

18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

According to The Craft Gin Club, unopened gin will be fine for several years or longer, so you should be ok.

catmother, BertieBassett2 and install like this.
  19. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Why so many?

20. install

install Star commenter

The plan was to have 'Gin Parties' every so often for friends. We had the parties, but no one wanted gin.