1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

how much are you told about the children you work with?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by legoearth, Nov 12, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been a TA for ten years and have worked with several teachers of differing age and experience. I have felt a little uncomfortable for a year or so as my roll seems very different from that which I have usually carried out. I am happy to do what i do as I do have moreresposibility that I used to. My problem is that my opinion doesn't seem to count any more. I am given a group of children to work with, I am always aware that they are the poorest in the class, and am left to work out what they need to help them progress. I am sometimes given resourses but they are usually unsuitable,though I do try them. These are year six pupils and at the end of the summer I wasn't even given their SATS results even though I asked several times. I always used to keep a record of childrens levels and CAT/SAT results. Looking through my files today I realised there has been less and less recording done and I have no idea how one child I worked with last year progressed officially. I know she made great improvements as she was Dyslexic had very very poor reading and was unable to write independently. All her literacy was scribed and she was able to copy slowly. By the time she left she could write simple sentences independently and could read simple texts she had progressed from an unrecordable reading score to age 7.2. It was hard but rewarding work and she was so happy and her self confidence grew enormously.
    In a conversation last week with my teacher she off handedly commented that it was not for me to know the children's levels as she was the teacher. I assume all the children I work with progress well as there is no criticism of my work but some feedback and an idea of level progression would be nice. I feel really fed up at the moment as even us adults like a bit of praise now and again. If I could SEE and monitor the levels of the children I work with then I might not mind so much not being told.I feel quite unprofesional at the moment,I'm just drifting along doing what I feel I need to but it's all just a bit messy. I don't even get planning now so I can't prepare in advance. I feel like a 'helper' not a TA! My observasions by SENCO are always excellent... I'm not sure what I'm unhappy about exactly but it just feels **** at the moment...

2. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been a TA for ten years and have worked with several teachers of differing age and experience. I have felt a little uncomfortable for a year or so as my roll seems very different from that which I have usually carried out. I am happy to do what i do as I do have moreresposibility that I used to. My problem is that my opinion doesn't seem to count any more. I am given a group of children to work with, I am always aware that they are the poorest in the class, and am left to work out what they need to help them progress. I am sometimes given resourses but they are usually unsuitable,though I do try them. These are year six pupils and at the end of the summer I wasn't even given their SATS results even though I asked several times. I always used to keep a record of childrens levels and CAT/SAT results. Looking through my files today I realised there has been less and less recording done and I have no idea how one child I worked with last year progressed officially. I know she made great improvements as she was Dyslexic had very very poor reading and was unable to write independently. All her literacy was scribed and she was able to copy slowly. By the time she left she could write simple sentences independently and could read simple texts she had progressed from an unrecordable reading score to age 7.2. It was hard but rewarding work and she was so happy and her self confidence grew enormously.
    In a conversation last week with my teacher she off handedly commented that it was not for me to know the children's levels as she was the teacher. I assume all the children I work with progress well as there is no criticism of my work but some feedback and an idea of level progression would be nice. I feel really fed up at the moment as even us adults like a bit of praise now and again. If I could SEE and monitor the levels of the children I work with then I might not mind so much not being told.I feel quite unprofesional at the moment,I'm just drifting along doing what I feel I need to but it's all just a bit messy. I don't even get planning now so I can't prepare in advance. I feel like a 'helper' not a TA! My observasions by SENCO are always excellent... I'm not sure what I'm unhappy about exactly but it just feels **** at the moment...

3. You're doing a good job, that's all that matters. Raise your concern to the SENCO. I don't think it's unreasonable for your to monitor the progress of students you work with.

4. I agree with some of what you say. In our school, the TAs together with the teachers, work together, looking at their progress in the previous years, putting them into their 'wave' groups, and know the groups before the year begins. All the TAs put in the results onto the schools main server, and have access to the scores online. Perhaps you can look at them for yourself.

The fact that you do not get planning is not, unfortunately, unusual. I get the planning on a Monday for the group that I have to differentiate for. Not very helpful.

5. I must be lucky then. I'm told all about my 1:1 children. Backgrounds etc.
    Then all the T.A's get together once a term and share ideas and resources.

6. You are lucky.... Im on a 1:1 And got told very little. Its been a guessing game not fair on me or him. I tend to end up having to work with the lower ability group too at same time i should be working 1:1

7. I work 1:1 with a child I have his IEP ,attend his progress meetings ,am fed back information from his parent and kept "in the loop" by the SENCO.Because he is in a low ability group this is the group I work with in lessons at times this is wearing ,like "swimming through custard" on occassions.I need to be with him though to support him and the rest of the group also benifit from TA input.In our school we keep intervention logs to show the work we do with the children these are monitored weekly by the SENCO and we receive feedback .We all have cr..p days when we feel like a doormat that needs shaking ,as someone else has said talk to your SENCO who see your excellence see if she can speak out on your behalf .Maybe you are unlucky enough to have a teacher jealous of your rapport and achievements with your children I know from experience that they exist [​IMG] this to those who don't appreciate your worth!!!

8. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Thank you all for your support. It doesn't happen all over the school but new SMT and little cliques make speaking up difficult. It's great to come on here and have a good old moan.I suppose i'm a bit like many of the children we work with and need a little praise and a thank you now and again! By the way,purple is my favourite colour [​IMG]