1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much are you expected to know ahead of applying for a Primary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Kelston, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hello, I'm going into my final year of a Politics degree at York uni, and I'm certain now that I'd like to do a Primary PGCE immediately after I graduate. I'm not sure, though, how much I'm expected to know ahead of applying, and what is expected of me in interviews. I've briefly looked through the curriculum and some of the proposed reforms, I've also looked at bit at AFL and EAL and learning styles. What else would people on here recommend, as I'm really not sure exactly what I should be looking at.
    Also, I have 5 weeks of work experience at 2 schools, and will have at least 6 by the time I apply. Will this be enough? I do have a fairly strong academic record, I have 3 A*, 5A and 2B at GCSE, as well as AAB at A level. How much will this influence my application?

2. Being accepted on to a PGCE is tough.

The main issue I think that you will have is that your degree is not a national curriculum subject. Many universities like you to have a degree that is related to a National Curriculum subject. As such, you'll need to show the relevance of a degree in politics to primary school aged children.

The University of Warwick provide a good FAQ page that deals with some of the questions you might have, including a link to an email to see if they would consider your degree for a primary PGCE. See the link - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/wie/itt/pgce/faqs/

Please note that this is only one university, of which I have no affiliation (I haven't even been there), but it might give you a starting point. You could also have a look at York's PGCE page and email their admissions tutor or any other university you fancy applying to!

3. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Not sure that there's really a set answer to that question. The experience you have will be much more important than the knowledge that you have but you do need to show that you have some understanding of current issues (academies, changes to Ofsted, curriculum changes, new standards etc.) but they won't expect you to know the curriculum inside out etc.

The biggest issue, like the person above me said, is that your degree, however academic, is completely unrelated to teaching. Now, that's not to say that you won't get a place but it will certainly make it much harder. I have a non-NC subject degree and applied to three Universities, two said no based purely on that, I got into the third. The problem is that at the moment there are so many people applying to do the Primary PGCE that they have to set people apart some how and so your degree subject comes into that. Some unis place more emphasis on it than others though so I suggest that you contact the ones that you're interested in and ask their viewpoint.

Your GCSEs won't really come into it a great deal I wouldn't think, other than to see that you have at least a C in Maths and English. A Levels will of course help, particularly if they're in curriculum subject areas. My A Levels are in strong curriculum areas and I think that helped me what with not having a NC area degree.

The 5/6 weeks experience is enough to be considered for an interview but obviously the more you have the better, both in terms of your appeal and it'll help when it comes to you going into the classroom on placement too.

Good luck!

4. Thank you. I'm already aware that my degree topic will be a problem, so I'm looking to avoid universities that make a big deal out of applicants having a degree in an NC subject. I'm also looking at showing in my personal statement that my degree still requires a lot of skills that are important for NC subjects (Politics is very similar to History in terms of skills used). I have A levels in History and Maths so I'll be looking at emphasising those too.