1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How much alcohol during 2WW?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by manderleydreams, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I know the ideal is to not/barely drink during this time - and I have stuck to this for the entire 12 months that I have been ttc. However, next week I will be going on holiday with my oldest and closest friend for a week in Greece - which falls just in the middle between ovulation and my period.
    Although we have no intention of binge drinking and falling around the local nightclubs, we have been known in the past to sink a bottle of wine (or two [​IMG]) over dinner.
    On the one hand I want to enjoy myself and let the wine flow with the talk - I've been off the pill for nearly two years and actively trying for one - I very much doubt that this will miraculously be THE month. On the other hand I will have that little hope at the back of my mind, as I do every month, coupled with the inevitable 'symptom spotting' and I know I will feel guilty if I do have more than a couple of glasses.

What have others done when the 2WW has fallen on a holiday/ special occasion?

2. I know the ideal is to not/barely drink during this time - and I have stuck to this for the entire 12 months that I have been ttc. However, next week I will be going on holiday with my oldest and closest friend for a week in Greece - which falls just in the middle between ovulation and my period.
    Although we have no intention of binge drinking and falling around the local nightclubs, we have been known in the past to sink a bottle of wine (or two [​IMG]) over dinner.
    On the one hand I want to enjoy myself and let the wine flow with the talk - I've been off the pill for nearly two years and actively trying for one - I very much doubt that this will miraculously be THE month. On the other hand I will have that little hope at the back of my mind, as I do every month, coupled with the inevitable 'symptom spotting' and I know I will feel guilty if I do have more than a couple of glasses.

What have others done when the 2WW has fallen on a holiday/ special occasion?

3. I was a badly behaved ttc-er and never avoided alcohol during 2ww. Personally I wouldnt worry too much and just have a nice holiday but that's just me. I reckon most women dont think about being preg that early unless they are trying specifically.

4. I agree - it's your holiday and you need to relax. Just don't go mad. The only thing I found out pregnancy related from my first doctor's appointment was that she was madly drunk when she found out she was pregnant. Obviously not a sober 2WW!

5. Haha! Thanks, that's made me feel more relaxed about the whole thing. I suppose women who are not ttc would not know they were pregnant at this stage anyway and would therefore not change their lifestyle at all. Thankfully the thought of a hangover in such ridiculous heat may put me off taking it too far anyway [​IMG]

6. I started TTC again after an ectopic pregnancy. It was our first cycle of re-trying and we went to Vegas. I went nuts on the giant cocktails - I especially liked Jet Fuel from the bar at the top of the Stratosphere! I tested every other day for two weeks and on CD13 got my BFP! This baby made it to the right place (yippee!) where it is currently wriggling around. Since my BFP I have been careful not to drink. TTC was so heart wrenchingly stressful after we lost the first baby and one of my Fallopian tubes that I oddly think that the drink might have helped. I do miss it now though! ;o)

7. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I don't avoid alcohol at any point in the month as having a nice glass of wine with dinner is one of lifes pleasures and if I didn't do it I doubt very much I'd be more likely to be pg. 'You can't put your life on hold' is my opinion.

8. Toe in water is right, you can't put the rest of your life on hold for this. Do what you would normally do, and don't worry too much. A friend of mine was very drunk at our wedding, and 8 months later gave birth to a perfectly healthy little one...

9. Yes, I'll add to that. My cousin was very, very drunk at a new years party and boom in the February announced she was pregnant. She gave birth to a bouncing baby boy the following August... that was 16 years ago. So far I can't see that its hindered his development and doubt it will at this late stage.

10. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I avoided alcohol leading up to TTC apart from two months before when i went on holiday. Then a week and a half after we started to TTC I had a couple of negative pg tests and has two glasses of wine per night for two nights, then got a BFP a couple of days later! 16 weeks pregnant now and doing well! x

11. d2148j

d2148j New commenter

I didn't realise I was pregnant with no 2 until 7 weeks. After speaking to MW about my alcohol consumption on holiday she said I didn't need to worry as for the first 6 weeks they are being fed of the yolk sac and that placenta isn't formed. Helped me to put my mind at rest