1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by onyerbike, Apr 7, 2020.

1. onyerbike

onyerbike New commenter

As a supply teacher I am registered with several agencies. I can't say I have work all the time but I can usually get offered 3 of 4 days in a week and usually at a school I have visited previously. The agencies all contacted me last week to say they will furlough me if I agree but I am unsure about this being acceptable. I have contacted the largest agency's payroll dept. but they said they don't know yet if more than 1 agency can furlough the same person and are waiting for more government guidelines. I am sure there are a lot of us in this situation and wondered what others think.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  2. john1207

john1207 New commenter

3. john1207

john1207 New commenter

Are you paid directly by the agency or an umbrella company paye?

4. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

From what I've read you can be furloughed by as many employers as you've working. for

Happyregardless and pepper5 like this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

If you currently have more than one employer
    You can be put on furlough by one employer and continue to work for another. If you’re put on furlough by more than one employer, you’ll receive separate payments from each employer. The 80% of your regular wage up to a £2,500 monthly cap applies to each job.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

They ( gov.uk) say yes you can have more than one employer furlough you.
    It is fair because of the way each one will calculate the amount you receive....

Happyregardless and gorge441 like this.
  6. onyerbike

onyerbike New commenter

I'm paid by the agency

7. onyerbike

onyerbike New commenter

Tis grateful I am for this.
    Thanks very much

pepper5 likes this.
  8. tesmas

tesmas New commenter

Surely you can't be furloughed for the same week by more than one agency, which would mean you are getting paid twice for the same week. Something is not right.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. steviepal

Why not? eg. You work 2 days in a week for one agency, one day for another and another day for yet another (or there abouts) on average. That's 4 days a week you would've been working so 4 days per week furlough pay.

Yoda- and pepper5 like this.
  10. tesmas

tesmas New commenter

That's true, but how can different agencies furlough you for different days in the same week? I understood that once an agency furlough you they do it for more than three weeks or so, which means that you are getting paid by that one agency. Therefore you can't be furloughed by another agency for the same period. The whole point of getting furloughed is that you are not working any more, but getting paid by one agency - the one that you were on their payroll by 28th February 2020.

11. steviepal

Say your average take home from one agency is 200, another is 150 another is 100. That's 450 per week. 80% is 360. 160 from one, 120 from the next and 80 from the last.

That's if they all come through. Which in hoping they will.

If you're lucky enough to land a temp job in the meantime you can get paid for that too.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. lonsdale342

lonsdale342 New commenter

I'm getting paid by my 3 agencies. I received my 1at payment yesterday. Each payment is small but together it's a good weekly amount for which I'm grateful.

gold19951, Yoda- and pepper5 like this.
  13. tesmas

tesmas New commenter

Do you know how each agency has worked out your daily pay for this 1st payment?

pepper5 likes this.
  14. lonsdale342

lonsdale342 New commenter

I assume they worked the rate out based on the government guidelines.

15. gorge441

gorge441 New commenter

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with Yoda...

16. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Check with the conditions of your employer' furlough though

because of one of my agencies they I can continue working for a company " If I worked for them prior to furlough" I had to stop myself registering interest in a new agency who were teaching online because of this, this very morning actually.

So, say if you worked for an online company/tutoring co, you could continnue working with them whilst on furlough IF you worked with them alongside supply work from agencies BEFORE furlough, but no new jobs - however double check HOURS etc and don't quote me on that - just reiterating what one agency furlough condition said. It seems there's a great variation between agencies as most people on here are currently reporting.

Fat chance of me earning anything near £2,500 though - just to make anyone feel better!