1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many...?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by celago22, Apr 14, 2019.

1. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

How many applications would you say are sufficient? I've applied for nearly 15 jobs and slowly losing the will to live. Should I apply for more?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

We've had people on here in the past who've got a post on their 17th interview, so who knows how many applications they did.
    Your application to going through to interview ratio may be better to look at rather than just how many applications. you've made. This might give you an indication of where you've been more successful to look for future posts.
    There's someone on here who has made 26 applications during just the last year I think.

agathamorse and digoryvenn like this.
  3. celago22

Thanks for the reply. I've had to turn down one interview so that I could go to another one :( so hoping to get interviews from my bulk applications.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Yep, that's me!
    In the past 11 months I have sent 26 applications, all unsuccessful.

Keep going and don't give up.
    Good luck.

agathamorse, celago22 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. celago22

That's the spirit! Hope you found something in the end.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

I've sent off 11 applications so far, and have had four interviews (two of which I couldn't attend for various reasons). Three of those interviews offered were from schools I'd visited. Unfortunately I am on placement now and also cannot afford to travel to any more schools for visits, so God knows how many more applications I'll have to send before I get another interview. Schools expect you to visit before applying which I think is understandable, but a big ask in some cases. Anyway, rant over!

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Looking at it from the other end of the telescope, we often see over 25 applications for one job.

8. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

Only 25... o my, so few!

It is a numbers game. So obviously yes.

Also are you getting any response at all?
    You may want to to be more selective, select you intended place of employment different. Widen the search.
    You may well find a sudden surge in the number of posts that are advertised after the end of May, the deadline to resign for the end of this academic year.

I suggest you brush up your personal statement. Review your skill sets. Are you really selling yourself fully?

Review all electronic application stuff with spellchecker and grammar checker. Then get a real person to read it all, you often cannot see your mistakes.

only 17?.... I applied for 3 a day for weeks during one change of employment. I then got 3 job offers in one week.
    Have you registered online with any groups that collect up teacher applications?
    Apply smarter not necessarily more often.

Good luck.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. celago22

25 applications for one job? Wow, and I thought there was a shortage of teachers!

Thank you for the advice.

I can't visit the schools as I'm looking to relocate (a 6hr drive for me). I also haven't been able to call the schools first because of the Easter break. The deadline for most roles is next Monday/Tuesday. However I have previously been offered an interview without visiting so I don't think it is a dealbreaker.

Do you have any suggestions for sites that collect applications?

I suspect I will start to hear back next week. I'm just panicking because I am conscious that I need a job by the end of next month and I definitely didn't apply for this many jobs last year!

agathamorse likes this.
  10. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

That's nothing! I received a rejection email from a school in Preston saying they couldn't give individual feedback because there was 110 applications for the job ...

agathamorse likes this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Occasional commenter

This website jobs section does a core details record, once you have put your details in then thse details stay there and you don't have to type them all in again. For jobs that use this facility you only need to answer a couple or so of extra questions and make a personal statement.

Try the Guardian for teacher job search online. It emails you with matches. Not every school uses the TES. You can look at job hostings by other major UK newspapers

If you google "apply for teaching posts" you will get diverse a list of results but some though many might be for teaching posts overseas. Teaching overseas is not for everyone, but it might be for you.

Good luck.

agathamorse and celago22 like this.
  12. celago22

Thank you!

agathamorse likes this.
  13. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Totally agree - Guardian jobs is a good find! Got my present job through a job advertised via agency on Guardian jobs. I didn't have to do my application until AFTER I had been offered the post, which was also refreshing!

agathamorse and afterdark like this.