1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many yrs before TLR?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by dizzymai, Dec 13, 2010.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

How much experience do you need before you start moving up that ladder?

2. There isn't a minimum time, it's all to do with your experience. You can have 1 fantastic year of experience or 20 lots of the same year in year out. WHat do you feel is your next step? Try and find a job description of that next step and see how you match up.

3. I've observed it can happen very quickly if you are very flexible in what direction you wish to move, it just takes ambition and confidence.

4. It also depends if the school has the money. I have a subject leader responsibility for a core subject in a primary school. No TLR. Others I know with the same responsibility have a TLR. Just luck sometimes.

5. Fur

Fur New commenter

From a cynical perspective, I have observed that it can depend on how much you are liked / valued as a teacher and how concerned those senior to you are about keeping you in the school.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Of course you could always dispel that myth by getting a TLR elsewhere, then you know you genuinely deserve it.
    I've always shied away from
    internal promotions myself, if you truly want to prove your leadership skills and broaden your experience, move schools.