1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many years to retirement????

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JAFF23, Mar 3, 2016.

1. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Can't come soon enough. Read a post on here this week that stated how can you go from being outstanding to cause for concern? Came out of the blue when a meeting was arranged for today to be told exactly that. From being a school I loved when I first started to hitting the bottle as we speak. Life is too short for all this **** and yes I am UPS3 and an experienced teacher and also a single parent. Stressed even after my informal meeting: what will I be like at my actual observation???

delnon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Sorry to hear this, it happened to me too. Luckily enough I was old enough to retire and would have retired by now anyway but it still leaves a bitter taste that my career ended in such a nasty way.

cissy3, delnon and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I suspect the "cause for concern" has very little to do with you and everything to do with the squeeze on the school budget. Experienced staff on UPS3 are being pressured and bullied out of the profession throughout the country. If you feel like a fight get the union involved. If not, get the heck out asap. Above all, don't take it personally.

4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

TG1, please, please please be really careful about the bottle. Take it from one who knows, the answer isn't to be found there.

I'm one of the UPS 3/lady of a certain age variety and, like you, it came like a bolt from the blue when it all hit the fan. Like InkyP, I was old enough to retire and would have retired now anyway. I did some supply and 2 short term contracts and now I work 3 days a week in a shop. I love it!!!

I promise you, there is life after capability. If you are young enough, look for another school. Read some of the comments from others and you will see that you are not alone and there's plenty of folks here who will support you.

cissy3 and delnon like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

As someone who has been there and done that [and I'm only M6 after years of being denied pay progression] you have my complete sympathy.

Might I recommend using Workplace Dilemmas... it is a wonderful place and full of very supportive and knowledgeable folks.

cissy3, InkyP and Dragonlady30 like this.