1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many years teaching IB before I can leave?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MyLastDuchess, Dec 1, 2015.

1. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

I'm at a school that is OK, but I've been here 5 years and am ready for a different location. However, this is my first year teaching IB. I am assuming that I should stay for one IB cycle before moving on: is this enough? I'd plan to complete this year and next year, and plan to leave the following year. Does this sound reasonable, or do I need more than 2 years of IB experience to make me a desirable candidate? I'd like to try for one of the big name schools in Western Europe next, so I'd love some realistic advice.

2. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

I'd like to know which are the big name schools in Western Europe? Damn, we can't mention schools by name!

3. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Hogwarts and Durmstrang for certain. After those it could be any German ones with more than 22 letters in its name!

Perce

4. TimeBomb2015

TimeBomb2015 Occasional commenter

Percy, as Hogwarts is a real place - did you not know they made various documentaries about it? - I have reported your post and expect your imminent banning from this forum.

So there!:mad:

5. TimeBomb2015

1. Two years would be good enough to start applying to good schools elsewhere.
    2. Some understand this desire, personally I never have.

6. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Just one bit of advice. Bigger doesn't mean better or more pleasant to work in. I, and I'm sure many other posters, could name large schools run by complete and utter ********, and some small schools that get great results and are a joy to teach in.

7. TimeBomb2015

:eek:

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

8. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Duchess: two years will be fine as long as you and your referees between you, give Big Name School enough evidence that you have become a knowledgeable, confident and successful IB teacher over that time. It may depend, as always, on your subject: if you have been teaching Maths HL over those two years, then just PM me, would you?

Talking of which... Davey lad, I know you had your fingers burned a couple of years back, but are you ready for Europe again?

..and whether or not, you may be interested in this:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen...n-der-bavarian-international-school-1.2760296

9. David Getling

Thanks for that SMT. I do recall reading about another strike a year or so ago. I also know that one of this school's previous management is now ruining what used to be a very pleasant school, that he has now become headmaster of. So, with hindsight, it looks as if I had a lucky escape.

Currently I'm staying put. I'm still in the process of totally redecorating the house that me and my siblings inherited (I bought them out) when my mum died. Between that and the rate at which UK property is rising this is probably a sound financial strategy. And, without a mortgage, I'm making a comfortable living tutoring from home. The kids turn up at my door, and for an hour helping them with A-level maths, chemistry or physics (sometimes all three in one session) I'm £30 better off. I can handle almost anything they throw at me, on sight, so there's no preparation, and in any case I've always been interested in these three subjects (and study them for leisure), so it's very easy money.

10. TimeBomb2015

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Minus the taxes, of course...

:rolleyes:

TimeBomb2015 likes this.
  12. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Taxes? What's that? Is it something you ride in when travelling around London? :confused:

TimeBomb2015 likes this.
  13. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

Boom Boom Tish

14. David Getling

Very true, unfortunately. But, viewing the glass as half full, I suppose I should be glad that I'm doing well enough that I have to pay something. In any case, I still have to pay another 8 years N.I. in order to collect the full, fabulously generous, UK state pension.

15. Kiko2

Kiko2 New commenter

Good for you David! You've had a rough trot and I'm very happy to hear that things are going well for you. (yasimum)