1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many year groups have you taught?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dizzymai, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Interested in whether people find a year group they like and stick with it (if they can) or like moving around a lot and why? Struck by the fact that often Reception teachers stay in Reception and Y6 teachers often stay in Y6.
    I'm wondering why and whether it is better to develop expertise in one Key stage or have a broader experience of all ages.
    I'm doing my second year of Y3 and feeling very comfortable with it as a year group, and I'm less happy in upper KS2. But I do observe teachers who have no experience of other year groups can misunderstand the issues they have, both at top and bottom of the school.
    Thoughts and experiences on this welcome.

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Interested in whether people find a year group they like and stick with it (if they can) or like moving around a lot and why? Struck by the fact that often Reception teachers stay in Reception and Y6 teachers often stay in Y6.
    I'm wondering why and whether it is better to develop expertise in one Key stage or have a broader experience of all ages.
    I'm doing my second year of Y3 and feeling very comfortable with it as a year group, and I'm less happy in upper KS2. But I do observe teachers who have no experience of other year groups can misunderstand the issues they have, both at top and bottom of the school.
    Thoughts and experiences on this welcome.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've been teaching for 7 years and have taught every year group except year 4.

4. I've only taught Y1 and Y2 since qualifying 3 years ago. Im KS1 coord now so will more than likely be staying in KS1 for a while (I could do Y3 as Im technically phase leader and it includes transition into Y3).
    Id happy teach Y3 or Y4, and from there wouldn't mind trying Y5 or Y6 but it'd be nice to work my way up gradually!
    I'd also happily try Reception.

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

If I include my PGCE and time on supply then I've taught every year group from Nursery up to year 9!
    If we're not including that I've done y4, then y5/6 mix, y5, y 6 and this year I'm in 6 again. Would dearly love to escape year 6 but I can't see it happening as no one else wants to teach it! Ideally I'd do a year in 3 or 4 before trying year 2 to get some more KS1 experience before running back to upper KS2 where I feel happiest.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Visiting Music teacher first so every age class in several primary schools, then 5 years in Year 5. One term in year 3 and then 14 years in middle school Year 6 (but with Y5 music too). Finally just Music again in same middle school so Y5 to Y8 for a few years. Supposed to be retired now, but still do supply in middle school and have done a couple of maternity covers in Y5. Always loved Year 6 and was there when NC tests were first introduced! [​IMG]

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've taught all year groups with the exception of Y5.

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Have taught all year groups from Y1 to Y11 ... mostly KS2 and feel happiest in year 4. Many have been mixed age groups 1/2; 3/4; 4/5; 5/6. Never taught foundation/reception or whole KS but who knows?!
    I think it is important to have an understanding of key issues and how children learn ... particularly of maths.
    Carrie [​IMG]

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I have taught all year groups except Y6 and Reception. I think that teachers need to experience as wide a range as possible, before deciding their preferred age group. I was moved to Y1 last year, but know that it's not really for me. My preferred age is Y3 or 4.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

now a supply teacher but over30 years i have taught from nursery through to 6th form ....
    but i no work in primary and for some reason getting a lot of work in the infants.LOL

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If we count supply teaching then every group from nursery to year 13.(Yes A-Level Russian was a challenge, but a lovely class of girls who helped me out!)

For my own classes, in secondary year 7-11 maths and PSHCE; in middle years 5-8 maths, PSHCE, science, ICT, history, geography and RE; in primary mixed year 5/6, year 5, year 6 all subjects. Now I'm off to year 2!

If you want to move onwards and upwards to DH/HT/etc in primary, then you will need experience of at least two key stages, ideally all three. I'm hoping to spend a year or so in year 2 and then be off to the dizzy heights of SMT!

12. Well done on becoming key stage co-ordinator after only three years! You have done really well- how do you feel about it? What is your job description? I am lower phase co-ordinator (years 1-3), and teach in y3, but have been teaching a bit longer than you - 27 years!

13. Been qualified since 1997. Not counted Supply, just as a contracted teacher, I I have taught
    Year 4/5, Year 5, Year 3/4, Year 3, Year 5/6, Year 6, Year 4, Year 2/3 and Year 3 !! (in that order).
    Head doesn't like some of us to get to comfortable lol. Others in the school haven't changed Year group at all !.
    Would like a move and have informed the Head (have never said before and took what was offered). I'd like an Infant experience especially Year 1.

14. I'm just about to go into my 5th year and have taught Y4, Y5, Y1/2, Y3 and am about to have Y4. I had the same class for my first two years of teaching and am taking my Y3s up this year too!

15. I have taught all Year groups from Reception to Year 8.
    For the first 10 years I only taught Key Stage 1 and loved it. Then my head made me teach Year 3 then Year 4, I loved that even more. I then chose to move to Middle schools to teach up to Year 8 but hated that. Moved then into Primary schools and taught quite a bit of Years 5 and 6, loved that too. All this has stood me in good stead for supply work as I am comfortable teaching any year group but I won't move out of the Primary range. I prefer Key Stage 2.