1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many washable masks?

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Corvuscorax, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I just don't think that is possible, for all the reasons already given

agathamorse likes this.
  2. b_m

b_m New commenter

Have you actually read the DfE guidance?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...t-ppe-including-face-coverings-and-face-masks

Wearing a face covering or face mask in schools or other education settings is not recommended. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close social contact with people you do not usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops. This does not apply to schools or other education settings. Schools and other education or childcare settings should therefore not require staff, children and learners to wear face coverings...

The majority of staff in education settings will not require PPE beyond what they would normally need for their work, even if they are not always able to maintain a distance of 2 metres from others...

3. b_m

b_m New commenter

There is no issue with supply of masks now. My local co-op is selling them at the till next to the chewing gum!

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

5. Corvuscorax

what "does not apply" is that we are in the catagory of places where you are crowded in for a short time, and masks will make a big difference to transmission.

In schools we will be croded for a long time, so masks will not make a BIG difference to the rate of transmission of the virus; that does not mean it makes NO difference to the trnsmission of the virus.It is just a smaller difference.

What it makes no difference to is the number of people sent home if one person in a school tests positive. It will however affect the number out of those sent home people who will also be positive.

So, no difference to the national rate of infection, but potentially life and death difference to individuals

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

agathamorse and Ellakits like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I believe we are in the category of 'education and childcare settings' and so schools should be following that guidance and the ones relating to their phase of schools.

8. b_m

b_m New commenter

This comment/section has been removed/edited for breaching our House Rules and/or Terms and Conditions.

9. Corvuscorax

one thing that hs become apparant to me since my spell checker stopped working is that nobody who thinks it is valid to belittle me for being dysleic is worth having any further discourse with. Welcome to my (very short) ignore list. Very short, becasue very few people on here are actually liekly to behave like that.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. b_m

b_m New commenter

Yes..the spell checker has stopped working....!

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

12. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Implying you can chew gum without anyone knowing?