1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many trolls does it take?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by costermonger, Sep 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

Skimming the boards this morning, I am struck by the sheer persistence and increasing number of trolls. It's virtually not worth reading anymore because of the hard right, sometimes far right, climate change denying, anti science, BBC hating, brexit cheerleading, holocaust denying, Fox news quoting, Trump supporting, anti vax, creationist, homphobic, transphobic, xenophobic, mysogynistic a$$hats spraying their bile everywhere.
    Now, these people are either trolling or insane. But how many are there? How many to ruin a message board? I strongly suspect many of the most extreme posters on here are sockpuppets but I can't demonstrate that to get them banned. I get that 'don't feed the troll' is a good idea, but it leaves the voices of the stupid and politically deranged unopposed. We should stand up for reality.
    IMHO the problem with the internet is that there really is no filter, and as a result extreme and dangerous ideas are allowed to flourish. This could be our version of the lead in the water pipes that did for the Romans. They made horses senators, we have genuine (apparently) debates about the shape of the Earth.
    I'm with Douglas Adams, maybe coming down from the trees was our first mistake.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Already discussed to death. Just use the "ignore" facility, it rarely makes a thread incomprehensible.

3. costermonger

costermonger Occasional commenter

Ok, fair enough, still means they aren't being challenged. In the absence of a counter, whatever they spout becomes respectable.

4. defenceagainstthedarkarts

defenceagainstthedarkarts Occasional commenter

So are they actually trolls, or posters with an opinion that differs to yours?

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

If no one replies, maybe they'll lose interest and move elsewhere. There is no point trying to discuss rationally with them and replying just encourages them to continue posting.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

They only post because they get fed here.
    You started this thread,and that's fodder too.
    However, if you use the "ignore" function they will sense the threat of starvation, and in self-preservation migrate over time to mumsnet, and leaving opportunistic sardonic comments below teenage youtubes in the hope that someone somewhere will cry.
    DFTT-deflect, diffuse instead.

ajrowing, colpee, coffeekid and 3 others like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

I don't know where the most recent relevant thread is. No, they are not being challenged except by other (legitimate) posters, but if they are challenged a bit forcefully, the trolls report it, then legitimate posters get put on premoderation. You also are at liberty to report the trolls, but I actually think they love it. And I notice the famous "Gene" with many bans and comebacks under other names is still shown as logged in. (But mention his most recent moniker and he reports it straight away)

ajrowing likes this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I've got the most persistent Brexit cheerleader one on ignore. Cleaned the front page up beautifully.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Incorrect. If you ignore, whatever is spouted does not become respectable; it becomes nothing.
    If a troll repeatedly posts nothings they will stop posting and go somewhere else where they get a response.
    It's just attention seeking from those who are not getting enough attention in real life and who don't have the social skills within them to forge a substitute connection with anybody online .
    It's an indulgence,and if you respond in earnest, it is at your expense and their pleasure.

Doesn't always stop me responding though. I might pity or I might p take. Once a thread is started and others are on board, you can post with and for them too.
    It's a bit like going with a bunch of maximum of five friends to a party at the house of somebody who none of you really like. You don't have to be horrible to the host, just turn a few of their pictures upside down.

O...sorry,I think I just analogised from the nineties there...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Jamvic likes this.
  10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

:D I have a mischievous urge to do this now.

sbkrobson likes this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

The "troll" is the modern equivalent of the type who used to rant on buses, trains, or at the ducks in the park. They have always been here, just that they have internet access now, and more anonymity. It would be far too much trouble for people joining a website/forum/app thing to have to be verified in a meaningful way (online "verification" currently is a joke on most things I have had to do it on). Your bank details are not safe, so why should anything of lesser importance be secure and accountable? I blame that Tim Berners-Lee bloke, followed by Bill gates, and Mark Zuckerfrog .....

ajrowing and Jamvic like this.
  12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Far right versus far left, what is your real problem?
    It looks to me like your problem is similar to the kid who wants all his own way.

alex_teccy and Oscillatingass like this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Trolls have now (apparently) been elevated to the position of those who disagree with the desired (usually Marxist leaning) narrative, whatever that may be.

alex_teccy and Oscillatingass like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Will power, don't respond.

It always happens though, the latest barmy and deliberately inflammatory post is on the front page, it's half way down and being ignored, but then when I come back, there it is near the top with a dozen or so replies, virtually none from the actual posting troll themselves.

It seems to be a case of the troll rattles the cage of those who will take the bait and then those who agree to an extent with the troll come to oppose the take-downs. Lead the charge, wake up those who will make the efforts and then sit back and enjoy the rapture of the post-counter.

It's always been the nature of this board and of the teachers and ex-teachers who frequent it. People who have spent a working life time listening to and trying to nurture as-yet unformed minds are relatively easy to engage it seems.

I've frequented other boards in the past and the trolls here would be given much shorter shrift by many on those and quickly sent on their way or ignored, sometimes deleted for their obvious trollery by the mods.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Virtue signalling.
    Being 'right on'.
    Taking the knee/molesting statues.
    :mad:

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Ditto.

Agree.

ajrowing and nomad like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It is always good to hear what others think,so yes,people do care. We don't all like everything about each other, but we know that. Our motive on here is simply contact with others. Being sociable is not the same as showing off,is it? Like a good old fashioned staff room but without the guilt.

You forget that the best trolls stand out from non trolls by functioning primarily as master baiters.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    monicabilongame likes this.
  18. Ivartheboneless

Be careful who you mention by name. It is what they want, and they will report you for "personal attacks".

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  19. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

I shall fetch you a ladder.

alex_teccy likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

People with a different opinion to me = troll.

Riiight...

Joined 6 months ago and thinks the forum needs to match up with their worldview... how peculiar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.