1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many Tories will survive the next general election?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Aside from the incompetent fiasco that Brexit has been in showing the Tories in an entirely unfavourable and chaotic light, the fiasco that Universal Credit has been looms large as yet another fiasco has been happening in the background.

What do you imagine the media might have up its sleeve in the hope of salvaging the inevitable decimation of the Tories when the next election comes, be it sooner or later?

It a difficulty and a half to find anything at all credible about the Tory Party since it won power in 2010, don't you feel? The newspapers could find nothing positive worth publishing about those jerks and had to resort to publishing pictures of Cameron pointing at fish, every time he a holiday. What was that all about?

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Let’s hope none but the likelihood is that many will believe the pro Tory propaganda put out by the extremely rich who own our media.

TCSC47 and red_observer like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Gove will survive - apparently cockroaches will always find a way.

4. Duke of York

Universal Credit has hit those affected by its rollout hard. Although in theory it all gets sorted out in the end and people get the benefits they are entitled to, the problems the fiasco of it has left many families in desperation over their inability to pay their rent of feed their kids.

This flagship policy was supposed to be sorted by 2017, but now the government is saying it won't be fully operational before 2023. Let's not forget who was put in charge of it; and where he stood on Brexit. It was the minister who wanted unemployed people to work for nothing in Poundland to prove they were willing to work and claimed he could live healthily on fifty quid a week.

As Universal Credit continues its slow roll-out and in its wake, brings ever-increasing numbers of people to rely on food banks, we get more of an insight into what modern Tories are all about.

If they imagine they can continue forever with friends and families bailing out the vulnerable and being unlikely to get their money back, yet still imagine such people would vote for them again, it proves they are bigger idiots than the make themselves out to be.

5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The problem is, with our first past the post system, is that they will be difficult to shift. many may see their majorities slashed but still survive.

In any case, realistically, what have Labour got to offer?

Anyone for starting the "Fred the Gerbil" movement?

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I get the feeling another massive show of anger towards UC is the fact it, unlike the old tax credit system, does not pay out (not a penny) if you have savings over 16,000 GBP. It even goes down if you have 6,000 GBP.

So it is pretty likely a whole wave of claimants who were getting their benefits suddenly are told ....zero p to you, sorry.

This seems to be totally out of the debate on UC.

Point being this move is not going to be met with despair by most Tory voters, methinks. It does force people back on their bikes, as Tebbit said. Good ol' Tory policy.:rolleyes:

But I do agree if the Tories muck up Brexit then they are done for BUT I get the feeling the public are quite forgiving towards them out of fear of Corbyn and not least his staff (McDonnell, Abbot) coming to power.

I certainly would vote for Corbyn but the thought of those mentioned being in supreme positions of authority gives me cold sweats and I know I could not do it.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Gove (Surrey Heath), Milton (Guildford), Hunt (South West Surrey ) Gyimah (East Surrey), Grayling (Epsom & Ewell), Beresford (Mole Valley), Blunt (Reigate), Hammond (Runneymede & Weybridge), Kwarteng (Spelthorne), Lord (Woking), Raab (Esher & Walton) - all in Surrey, and at least half of whom hold or have held front bench positions. Recognise any of them? All safe Surrey seats!

They will survive.

nizebaby and ilovesooty like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Those dependant on UC, and who really suffer when it is rolled out to them are probably among the many who don't vote anyway. so it will make no difference to the Tories.

Geoff Thomas, blazer and sparkleghirl like this.
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

All of them They're still on 40% in the polls (Labour 35). If we think the public will all of a sudden realise the error of its ways and vote Labour they're in cloud cuckoo land.

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Enough Tories to keep the disaster called Labour out I hope.

11. Duke of York

When the glorious day comes, that every Tory politician gets the boot and then gets to find out what Universal Credit is like first hand, has to queue up at a food bank, you can seek advice from your vicar, @oldsomeman, what it's all about. I expect he'll tell you that God works in mysterious ways and ask for a contribution to church funds.

12. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Plenty will survive. Even some those who don't benefit from Tory policy will continue voting for them in the hope that they will benefit and haul themselves up above those they consider beneath them.

First they came for the others......

Geoff Thomas and monicabilongame like this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Somebody had to post this musical interlude, so it can be me. Funnily enough, the chorus sounds like "Gove, walk out the door.."

MAGAorMIGA and sparkleghirl like this.
  14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Why not... we could end up with someone as popular as Mr Macron,

irs1054 likes this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Unlike you to believe in all that project fear bunk. Which financial forecasts are you so certain about that predict Labour will be a disaster.

monicabilongame and emerald52 like this.
  16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

The French ended up with Macron because they voted stupidly as a protest in the first round. They were then left with the stark choice of Macron or Le Pen.
    Protest votes are a daft idea when too many people do the same thing.

monicabilongame likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yep. they'll all end up out of office and penniless like George Osborne and David Cameron.

18. burajda

burajda Star commenter

They voted for his party overwhelmingly in the National Assembly. That's where the power is.

19. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

20. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I am puzzled by state school teachers voting Tory. I know they do but I am always astonished that they are ok with public spending being squeezed to the limit and tax cuts for the wealthy. I realise that the media is heavily pro Tory but still feel that it is not hard to put two and two together to work out what is really going on.