1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many times do you wash/rince your hands when you cook?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, May 18, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I seem to be forever doing it. Wash them before I start handling food, after handling meat, after fiddling with garlic or onions, dredging the liver we have for dinner in flour. I bet you any money whoever cooks has the cleanest hands in the household.
    It never seems to end. Even when I wake up, the dog is anxious for her breakfast and won't touch the dry food unless I add a morsal of yesterday's dinner which might be a piece of chicken I'd saved. It needs chopping up to spread among the dry food to entice her to gulp down some of the dry stuff as she eats and I end up with mucky hands again.
    Something that occurred to me the other day was that kneading bread would be an excellent way of getting your hands clean after working on the car. I'd previously found washing my hair was a superior technique to using the nail brush.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I seem to be forever doing it. Wash them before I start handling food, after handling meat, after fiddling with garlic or onions, dredging the liver we have for dinner in flour. I bet you any money whoever cooks has the cleanest hands in the household.
    It never seems to end. Even when I wake up, the dog is anxious for her breakfast and won't touch the dry food unless I add a morsal of yesterday's dinner which might be a piece of chicken I'd saved. It needs chopping up to spread among the dry food to entice her to gulp down some of the dry stuff as she eats and I end up with mucky hands again.
    Something that occurred to me the other day was that kneading bread would be an excellent way of getting your hands clean after working on the car. I'd previously found washing my hair was a superior technique to using the nail brush.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I feel as if I wash my hands a lot. Partly that is cooking - when I start, when I touch raw meat and when I finish. The rest is involved in dealing with the dogs - after feeding them, after picking up their poop etc.
    I probably could set higher standards. I chuckle quietly when my sister insists that her kids wash their hands again if they touch the dogs before they sit down to eat. I couldn't swear that I don't stroke the dogs and then carry on cooking without washing my hands again. No-one's died yet!

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

When I handle meat or fish. Whenever I handle something sticky. Whenever I mix using my hands (which is often - much better than using a spoon!). Whenever I handle oil or dress a salad. I find the best solution is to fill the sink with soapy hot water, to save getting the taps dirty!

5. Only before cooking and then after handling meat or fish.
    Otherwise I wipe my hands on my pinny. I am not sure that a carrot is going to contiminate an onion.
    Or when making pastry, then I rinse my fingers under cold water to get them nice and cool.
    If baking bread, like nick, I have the sink full of soapy water before I start. But actually, I like stripping the dough off my fingers with the other fingers and then kneading back in. When you get the consistency right, you know it as nothing sticks to your fingers any more. That is how I judge.

6. I would do that.
    We wash our hands before eating, no matter whether we have touched a dog or not!

7. i get a bit ocd about it and regularly have raw skin and the occasional bleeding knuckles from it.

8. Even just a rinse, with a wee bit of soap, is enough. You don't need to rub your skin off! That is even worse - open sores and blood!
    If you are very particular, why not use a disinfectant gel handwash instead?

9. well then i use gloves.
    i do.

but i will wash my hands a lot when cooking, and generally a lot during the day, if i pick up something and i don't know where its been i want to wash my hands afterwards and with the new addition to the family last year i have almost continually been washing my hands.

i'm weird, i know.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Before cooking, but rarely during cooking as raw meat tends to be prepped last aftwr thw veg, anyway if it's all going in the same pot, what's the point. When I'm cooking, I find the dog gets in the way so tend to shu9t the kitchen door, btw, she's never fed in the kitchen, a health hazard in itself!

11. I wash my hands before I start to cook. During the process I tend to wipe them on my pinny or on a teatowel and then wash them again once finished. I am relaxed about having pets in the kitchen I must admit and they do get fed there too - just because it is so much easier to clean up after them.
    I do wash them after handling raw chicken and give the board a good scrub. Always wooden chopping boards btw -

12. I wash my hands before I start to cook.
    And again if I touch raw meat, or if it becomes necessary - mixing stuffing with my hands...kneading dough et.c
    Afterwards I need to moisturise my hands. They dry out really quickly.
    Gloves are not an option for me. I can't wear them - it's the texture thing.

13. Noooooooooo, I knew what you meant. I was meaning as opposed to washing my hands if I have been handling meat and poultry.
    I wonder why Mrs M doesn't like you using a tea towel? Most chefs have one tucked into their apron and I often have one tucked into the top of my trousers when I am faffing on in the kitchen.

14. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

All the time, am quite obsessive about it. Any time anything vaguely juicy goes onto my hands. No way could I ever work as a chef, am far too neurotic!

15. I ain't so sanitary, I'm afraid.
    I only wash during cooking/prep if I feel like my hands have slime on them!
    I don't wash cos I am afraid of germs (though I do wash between meat and the next thing) but purely cos my hands feel dirty.
    I was known as 'clean hands' as a small child. I could have been out making mud pies and I would have perfectly clean hands - filthy clothes, but bright shiny clean hands.
    A splash of water does it as I just need to get rid of the 'vaguely juicy' stuff [​IMG]
    I don't use soap as I don't want to contaminate the food I am making.