1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many teaching hours do you have per fortnight?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by fadingstar, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dear all,

Could you reply to the above? We are getting a lot of pressure put on us at the moment for more teaching hours and we want to get an idea whether this is normal and we should put up and shut up (!) or if SMT are taking us for a ride!

I'm on 40 hours teaching plus 2 line management meetings plus being a sixth form tutor.

Thank you,

Fadingstar

2. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

You mention nothing about how many periods over two weeks your whole school timetable is? Plus, it depends how many staff you line manage. A science HOD for example may have a department of 8-9 whilst a music dept may only have 3, so would expect different teaching/management time.

3. Apologies funkygirl - 50 hours, line managing 1 person. Please be aware that music and drama are required to offer afterschool KS3-KS5 clubs and rehearsals and extra-curricular trips which is not within hours - your post sounds a bit dismissive but I am very touchy due to exhaustion!

4. Ok. Apologies Noemie. I haven't been reading through the forum. I'm sorry.

5. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

Hi,

That would sound about right to me. I previously worked in a school with a 5 period day as a Head of PE. I was managing 5 other members of staff, plus completing extra curricular/fixtures and I only had 2 extra frees on top of normal 10% PPA which at the time one would be taken up by cover (b4 rarley cover came in).

Wasn't being dismissive, its just that you didn't give enough information initially. Although I have a different outlook that you are line managing just one person where in most schools a HOD managing a significant number of staff would probably be on the same amount of non contact hours and running extra revision sessions on top of this also.

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

That's alright, no need to apologise, I just thought you might find it interesting! It's here.