1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many teaching days do you need to achieve QTS?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Fresa82, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Hello,
    I’m a trainee teacher on a SCITT course. I’ve been watching the news about the coronavirus and am getting concerned about how many days I will need to have completed in school to gain my QTS.
    I have one of the preexisting conditions that they keep on mentioning and I’ve also heard that at some point in the coming weeks the government are planning to ask people over 70 and in the preexisting condition groups to self isolate for up to 4 months!
    I’ve been in school from the first INSET day in September and obviously I am not going to put myself at an unnecessary risk, but I know that there’s a minimum amount of days that you need to have spent in school to pass the course and get the QTS. Does anybody know what the official requirement is?
    I’m asking as I have a job lined up for September in a good school, but one of the conditions is that I achieve QTS first.

2. lahluwalia

lahluwalia New commenter

120 days to qualify

3. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

I believe it’s 120 days in placement, or 24 weeks but that may be specific to one provider.

4. science_geek_2020

science_geek_2020 New commenter

I was told by someone that there are no fixed days, you just need to build the relevant evidence.

Also, the DfE have already said that we will pass and not to worry, so dont worry.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is 120 days, but the DFE have waived that rule. The second school rule, and a whole bunch of other rules. You’ll all be fine.

thara9643 and swatsonmath like this.
  6. Fresa82

Fresa82 New commenter

Thank you for all of the info, I forgot to come back here and update when I found out myself, but I'm happy to say I'm with a fantastic SCITT who have been keeping us all updated and who are being very reasonable and supportive. Unless the DfE move the goal posts for some reason, I'm sure I will qualify now. Phew!

thara9643 likes this.