1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many teachers a year are forced to take time off due to stress at work?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chuk, Dec 5, 2011.

1. chuk

chuk New commenter

A thought occurred to me while reading about some of the pschological battering that teachers have experienced on this forum. Are these just the 'tip of the iceberg'. I am wondering whether there is a danger that anxiety,depression and stress at work will shortly reach epidemic proportions. (Especially while the coalition governement seem intent on yet more quick fix reforms.) I know there are different reasons why teachers take time out, but the overwhelming reasons seem to stem from short-sighted, unsupportive senior management, bullying, relentless inspections, threats of redundancies, or the general daily grind of the job and the increasingly poor behaviour?
    I wondered what the wealth of experienced teachers out there think are actually the core reasons? Also, is the situation likely to become better or worse over the next decade or so?