1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

How many sub levels should a child in y3 make?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by hlind, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I know that this may seem like an odd question but I am appealing to my primary colleagues for some help here as I teach at secondary level. Basically, our happy go lucky, intrinsically motivated daughter, who left the infants with 3c, except for her writing (2a) is suddenly "making little to no progress", according to her classroom teacher. We only found this out, when we received a letter asking if we minded her discussing strategies to manage our daughter with the ED Psych! We asked why and were told that she doesn't listen and at times produces very little work. She is an avid reader and will read anything she can get her hands on and recently in a meeting with the head we discovered that she shoul have weekly spellings which are recorded in a book. Needless to say, this book has never come home and when the head sent for it, only 3 pages had been filled in. My husband asked our daughter why and she said that she couldn't be bothered to write them down or bring the book home. I am worried that she is slipping through the net. Her reports for y1 and 2 were outstanding. She would always tells us about her school day but now when asked clams up and says fine.

2. Ok . . . Progress in year three is the proverbial can of worms in every primary school, as is the amount of progress to be deemed good. I'll tell you how it is in ours . . .
    Children are SUPPOSED to make AT LEAST 12 points progress minimum across ks2 which means on average one and half sublevels per year. However, now, to be deemed to be making good (or even outstanding progress) children will be targeted for between 12 and in some cases 16 points progress. (Crackers, I know).
    Anyway . . . If your child left with average of 3c and is tArgeted to make good progress, to leave with 5b or 5a they'll need to make about 2 sublevels progress per year.
    HOWEVER, most decent tracking systems allow for a little slack in year three. We look for one and a half sub levels progress, so a 3 c moving to a very strong 3b etc. and speed up through y5 and 6. Moving to the juniors can sometimes be a big deal for some children. I"d make an appt and go and have an honest and friendly chat with the teacher.

3. Many thanks for your advice! This is why I asked as primary is out of my sphere. I did go and see the teacher, after the letter and it was agreed that she would meet with us again to give us the results from the meeting with the ed psych but then she cancelled twice which is why I asked to speak to someone else. It turned out that personal circumstances forced her to cancel but I didn't know that at the time otherwise I wouldn't have asked to see someone else! Trying to tread carefully as I know that it's a difficult job!

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If she loves reading and reads regularly, forget all the levelling ****. She'll do just fine.

I teach secondary and plenty of kids seem to make good progress and get the grades, in spite of an absolutely lousy level of competence in reading.

5. Our shipping estimates are based on how quickly we can process and package items for shipment "also known as processing time". Processing time includes selecting items, quality checks, and packaging. Please note that large orders with multiple items may take longer to process and package.
    Welcome to our website to have a look,We are the professional children's website. :)
    http://www.tauramall.com/Toddler-Girl-Spring-Warm-Set-p1985.html

6. cazbeline

cazbeline New commenter

A child is expected to make 4 APS points a year, so in Y2 your daughter was ahead of expected levels, where she should have been at 2b making expected progress. (or 15 APS points if you prefer).

Please remember Y3 tests are very different to Y2. Tests are timed, give much less prompting and probably have not been prepared for so carefully. If your child is less happy then it may be time to take a little dig for why, if not I think you are doing the right thing by monitoring but not going in guns blazing.
    Children do not always learn as the tests would want. It is like a jigsaw where suddenly several pieces fit together and work improves significantly, this may have happened before the Y2 test. Also if your child was reported as level 3 it will go in as 3b not 3c - I don't know why but Y3 teachers are blighted by this and have been for years. This may be why, on paper, your daughter is not progressing.

Also although she is not making expected progress is your daughter happy? Look at her work. Has it improved? If not why not? Look at home, at school and at friendship groups. Is anything different?

I hope this is a temporary blip and your daughter is soon making at least expected progress.